Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Dependent on sleep medicines

User Profile
I need help with my PM medicines. I'm getting to be rather dependent on so many things. I take 150-200 mg of Hydroxyzine Paomate every night, I take Effexor 37.5 mg every night, and melatonin 10-15 mg usually (but occasionally up to 20 mg) at bedtime with an herbal supplementation drug with St. John's Wort, Ashwaganda, GABA, Hops, Chamomile, Passion Flower, and a sleep apnea herbal supplement since I have had no success using my CPAP and staying asleep with it. I'm also taking Lorazepam 1 mg at bedtime nearly every night, and I'm STILL not tired from all this. I just don't know how to get off some of these medicines or ideally, cut back on them slowly and reduce the doses because of how bad of breakthrough insomnia I get. I'm incredibly annoyed with nighttime and my inability to get to sleep but I feel it's the long-term use of all the anxiolytics and sleep-aids. I am having an extremely hard time getting off and I cannot really do it alone because I always give in and take them.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 17th, 2017
Sleep Disorders Answer A62558
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. Main issue is obesity causing sleep apnea and related fatigue. using too much anxiolytics and sedatives is causing this issue. CPAP, weight loss, posture control during sleep and sleep therapist help is all you need. I would not recommend use of so many medications.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sleep Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.