Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Deodorants Irritate Underarm Area, Antiperspirants Not So Much

I'm a male, age twenty, and I have been using deodorants and antiperspirants for the last eleven years. I started off using the Old Spice deodorants, and these were wonderful. I didn't have any sort of reaction when using them at this time. In my teens I switched to antiperspirants, because, even though they didn't have as good of a fragrance, they prevented me from sweating. Over the last three or so years, I have tried multiple times to switch back to deodorants, specifically old spice. I apply the deodorant, and after a few hours I feel itchy in the underarm region. If I keep applying deodorant for a few days, the skin becomes inflamed, rashy, raw, and even sometimes starts to ooze depending on how much I scratch. I always end up going back to antiperspirants from manufacturers such as Degree. The same thing happens when I use strongly scented body washed (e.g. Old Spice). I think I might have an allergy to the fragrances. I'm in college now and am at a point in life where I want to look, and smell, my best every single day. Do you agree that it's some sort of reaction to the fragrances? And if so, are there any solutions that anyone knows of to overcome this? Thank you!
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 29th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. Chemicals and deodorants may be triggering the skin allergies. Let your dermatologist and allergist have a look at possible allergens and then help you with the plan .

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Allergy
Quick Reply
Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Allergies , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.