2 days ago I was hit by an automatic umbrella with quite a lot of speed and force. I now have a small dent in my skull behind my ear big enough for two of the tips of my fingers to cover. The pain is equivalent to a bruise except the pain seems possible to not fade as easily. I have a few questions.

*Will it heal?
*If so, how long could it take to heal?
*I only just realised my injury before writing this. I haven't seen a doctor yet. *I'm not a person who sees the doctor often (and has never had any injuries) but now I'm considering it. Is it urgent?
*Would I require any medical attention?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 4th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
Swift01,

Your depression is probably within the skin, fascia, and subQ tissues of the cranium. It is not all that easy to sustain a skull fracture. And if there has been enough energy to produce a fracture, it usually causes a concussion as well. So, the patient usually is knocked out by the force.

Damage to the tight soft tissue covering over the calvarium (skull cap) often results in dents or divits. The fascia and other connective tissue gets disrupted and pulls apart of little. This only leaves the skin, fat, and a little subQ tissue in that area, and as a result there is a little soft depression.

Sometimes the dent is not noted right off due to some swelling that fills in the dent and covers it. Only later, when the swelling goes down, does the patient notice the divit or dent.

If you were knocked unconscious in the accident, you may have sustained a concussion. But, you have had a trial of life, in that, 2 days have passed, and you have not shown any seizures, altered mental status, etc that would be concerning for a subdural hematoma or an epidural hematoma.

The dent may stay there for quite a while, maybe forever. If you are concerned about it, see your physician. If you have any other troubling symptoms, such as persistent headaches, altered mental status, black outs, etc then you should also see your physician.

Dents is the soft tissue of the calvarium are extremely common and do not even need trauma to occur. They are also known to occur spontaneously, as part of the aging process. Just as other parts of the body wrinkle, age, sag, etc, the tight skin covering on the skull can also.

If you use the search engine at the top of the page, and search for dent in head or dent in skull, you will come up with several postings on the subject. So, you are not alone.

But, again, if you are concerned, see your physician. Good luck.
|

replied July 10th, 2013
Head Divit
When I was a child a cow swung her head around and the horn struck me in the head just at my hairline. It knocked me down and I can tell you I saw stars, but I didn't lose consciousness.

All these years since I've had about a 1/4 inch long divit in my head that I always wondered if it was the result of a fracture. Now I know it is simply those skin and tissue layers.

Thank you for the information. Smile
|

replied December 19th, 2013
Dont Drink and Run...
Thanks for the info. About 27 years ago I had been drinking (ALOT) and at a full run I took a flying leap at some double swinging doors and caught my head on the edge of the steel door frame. BANG!... STARS... THUD... DARKNESS... One of our medics watched over me overnight to make sure I didn't have a concussion. To this day I have a 2 inch horizontal ding in my forehead... Ahhh good times...
|

replied June 10th, 2015
About 10 years ago, I hit my head on the metal plated corner of a trailer, and was left with a dent at my hairline. For a few years, I experienced dizzy spells and blackouts. Those have since stopped, but were replaced by frequent migraines (at least once a week). No doctor has sent me for further testing, though, and it has me worried.
|

replied June 10th, 2015
About 10 years ago, I hit my head on the metal plated corner of a trailer, and was left with a dent at my hairline. For a few years, I experienced dizzy spells and blackouts. Those have since stopped, but were replaced by frequent migraines (at least once a week). No doctor has sent me for further testing, though, and it has me worried.
|

User Profile
replied September 30th, 2016
This injury is very unknown to me but it seems very painful.
|
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....