Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

Dent above butt crack

Must Read
What is melanoma? This section give you a quick intro to this particular type of skin cancer, including the entire range of types of melanomas....
Doctors are pretty certain that ultraviolet radiation plays a role in the development of melanoma. Which other activities put you at risk of melanoma?...
What does melanoma look like? Learn to identify early signs and symptoms of melanoma with this full description of symptoms of melanoma here....
Earlier this evening, when I was scooting forward sitting down, It hurt a little just above my butt crack. I looked at it and there was a small red dent-like spot right above the end of the crack. What could it be? PLEASE dont tell me I have cancer or something and that im going to die!! Im 13 by the way
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 4th, 2009
Although I cannot offer a specific diagnosis over the Internet, it is unlikely that you will die from this problem. There are several different inflammatory conditions that can cause the findings that you describe. While cancer can occur anywhere in the body, cancers arising in the area of the anus or buttocks are extremely uncommon in adolescents. Inflamed skin cysts, or inflammation of hair follicles of the skin, in the "butt crack" area are rather common. Some of these inflammatory lesions will resolve with hot soaks and avoiding prolonged sitting (especially on hard surfaces), while others may be more chronic, and may require medication, or even surgery, to treat.

Since it is impossible for me to examine you, I would suggest that you visit your family doctor, and ask him/her to have a look at this area. Your doctor can then advise you whether or not further treatment is necessary.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.