Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Alzheimer Disease Forum

dementia due to oxygen loss rather than Alzheimers

User Profile
Is there a type of dementia that would be caused by a previous medical crisis where oxygen was cut off to the brain for a period? What would it be form of dementia be called?
My mom has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's approximately 2-3 years ago. I knew little about Alzheimer's at the time. Since her diagnosis I have read as much as I could on it. My problem is my mom does not quit fit the symptoms. She definitely has dementia I am not denying that! However in 2002 she had a bad asthma attack and she died 3 times in the emergency room that day in which her oxygen, which she was already lacking due to the attack...was totally cut off for idk how long those 3 times! She started showing signs soon afterwards which has made me wonder if her dementia is do to that rather than Alzheimers.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 26th, 2016
Alzheimer Disease Answer A59595
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. Oxygen cut off at birth has different implication and dementia is an old age disease. That is called cerebral palsy and a different disease than alzheimer's.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
Must Read
Alzheimer's disease is a brain disorder that causes dementia. But what causes Alzheimers? What signs can you look for?...
Learn the most common signs and symptoms of the onset of Alzheimer Disease. We also discuss symptoms of dementia so you can know when to seek help. ...
Doctors can help determine the cause of memory loss or symptoms associated with Alzheimers. We outline the diagnostic protocol for AD and exams that are needed....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Alzheimer Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.