Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

Deja vu and lightheadedness

A week after my 20th birthday I was at work and felt deja vu followed by lightheadedness and tingling in hands and face. The whole episode lasted 30 sec. Never passed out. I felt a little weak for about a minute after then went right back to working. The next day it happend again.

Then for the next couple years I had the same type of episode spiratically. Sometimes 6 in a day and sometimes non for a month. Same thing happens everytime and never once lost consciousness. I have always been able to talk through the whole episode and I could tell you what is happening and what I am feeling from start to finish.

Not to mention I have seen about 6 different neurologist and been on a few different meds. I still continued to have episodes even on the meds. 2 out of 6 EEGS came back abnormal.

My husband and I decided to get pregnant so the neurologist weaned me off meds. I have not been on meds for 4 1/2 years now. 2 children later and I may have 1 or 2 episodes a year. Although the tingling has subsided. I only feel deja vu and a little lightheaded, the length is about 20 secs.

I was diagnosed with epilepsy. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Does anyone know if it is a seizure and what kind?

Thanks for any info you may have. Just trying to see if there are others out there like me.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 28th, 2009
Hello,

I am new to this site. I have had several episodes of intense deja vu, relaxation, lightheadedness, tingling sensations, and loss of muscle tone in my arms. I also have a totally different type of episode where I enter a dreamlike state, drop to the floor and faint. My doctor is scheduling an appointment with a neurologist this week. Based on everything I have read the deja vu type episodes are "Simple Partial Seizures."
Again, I have not been diagnosed with this yet. I will have and EEG in the coming weeks.
I just wanted you to know that there is someone else that has felt the same thing.
|

replied September 28th, 2009
Thanks for getting back to me. If you don't mind let me know what turns up. Good Luck!
|

replied October 4th, 2009
I went to see the Neurologist Friday. He thinks I am having seizures but he did not mention what type of seizures. I will have a "Sleep Deprived EEG" October 12th. I am curious to see what shows up. If I get diagnosed with Epilepsy I will let you know what type of seizures they think I could be having. I still think "Simple Partial" and "Atonic' but I am not the Doctor so we'll see. Have a good week!
|

replied October 8th, 2009
I have been experiencing the de ja vu bouts for over 15 years. I did always lose consciousness but now since I have been dignosed with epilepsy and taking medication (Sabril)I only get the de ja vu on very few occaions. I can talk myself out of losing complete consciousness but I have noticed that I am having regular bouts of exteme anger . At least once amonth. I have not yet consulted my doctor as I am a bit ashamed of the fact that I am doing this. I get extremely angry and comlpetely unreasonable with my love ones. I am depressed after this occurs but I also feel relieved after the bout is over I feel as though pressure has been relased from me. Iknow that this is having a huge effect on my relationship and that seems to get me upset again when I start thinking about it. It seems like an eternal merry go round. I co not know if the is Epilepsy related or if some other neurological disfunction is occurring
|

replied October 10th, 2009
Hi, about 24 years agoI suffered what appeared to be a grand mal attack. I sought help with consultant neurologist who, diagnosed epilepsy. For a number of years I took Tegretol then later was weaned off. The episodes stopped for a number of years but then I moved city and a more hectic, stressfull lifestyle.The peti mals started again and once or twice I had a Grand Mal attack.After seeking help again and going through all the tests, Epilepsy was not diagnosed but anxiety.I remain on tegretol Retard 200mg and with breathing techniques and support from my employers, attacks are rare.Tegretol is also prescribed for anxiety and after seeing a consultant psycho neurologist I manage this condition. My trigger is informaton overload! People who talk at me constantly and quickly or who are them self anxious whilst giving lectures could set me off!I advise you take all the tests first before you follow this route but I hope I have been of some help.
|

replied October 16th, 2009
Sushibuddy,

I got the results back from the sleep deprived EEG. It came back abnormal. The nurse over the phone said I am experiencing Partial Seizures. The doctor wants to put me on Lamictal. My husband and I have been trying to have another baby for a couple of months now. This is not the best timing for this. I have my follow up appt with the Neurologist Wednesday. I have a lot of questions for him. Have a good weekend.
|

replied October 27th, 2009
Mini Seizure's
Hi, this may not be helpful since there has been already been replies, but i figured since it was so similar to my experience i would add it.

i too had the deja vu, followed by tingling in my hands, face, pretty much all over. Feel like your are in a dreamlike state, You feel very focused on one thing, and its almost a good feeling. (if that makes sense) i can tell you exactly what is going on and remain concious. Afterwards, i feel kinda light headed and a little confused at times, but for the most part i feel fine. I always thought this was my imagination until i had a seizure. Afterwards I described this to my neurologist and she told me these are mini (partial seizures). very scary since i had been having them for years.

I had one grand mal seizure in nov 2006, two more September 2009. I have been on keppra since 2006. had many tests, ekg's, all came back normal. Supposedly keppra is a good med to be on (if you have to be on one) I was even able to take it (in low dosage, 250 2x's a day) during my pregnancy, without any complications. Thank God! I just took extra vitamins, folic acid and iron pills, had lots of blood work and stress tests, just to make sure everything was progressing smoothly. Luckily my son was born healthy.

Good luck, hope everything works out for you.
|

replied May 15th, 2012
muscle twitches?
I see there have been several replies but I thought I'd share my experiences also. Ever since I can remember, I have always had the deja vu feeling and extreme light headedness. I was diagnosed with epilepsy in January of 2005 when I was 17 years old. I was placed on Lamictal. At the time I was placed on it, it was still being tested because it was a new medicine. It's been 7 years and even after trying Keppra, I am back on Lamictal. I now take Lamictal and Vimpat twice a day because the light headedness as well as muscle twitches. I am fully aware of what is happening but yet I can't control the muscles at all. That is why the neurologist prescribed the vimpat with the lamictal. I still have not seen much of a difference. I have noticed my problems arise when I have a lack of sleep or I am under a tremendous amount of stress. Does anyone else have the muscle twitches while you are fulling aware of them?
|

replied July 3rd, 2012
"Muscle twitches?"

I was diagnosed with epilepsy 1 yr ago, but looking back, I have had the same problems for at least 15 yrs. Throughout all of my seizures I am fully conscious and aware. I have simple partial seizures that range from facial twitches to full body jerks. My muscle twitches could be localized to one muscle or more. I also experience screaming, repetitive speach, trouble speaking, trouble walking (due to loss of movement in legs), and more. My seizures are very versatile, which leads me to believe that some other problem exist. I was lucky. The first neurologist I saw ordered an MRI and 12hr EEG. The MRI was normal, but the EEG was abnormal. I tried Keppra first, but the depression, personality changes, and increased seizures did not work well with my life style. I then tried Lamotrigine, but developed the allergic reaction within 12 days, and I have the permanently changed skin to prove it. I then tried Topiramate (insurance won't cover name brand). I got better after stopping the Keppra, but still have simple partial seizures everyday. My story is different from so many that I read because I do not ever remember having a classic grand mal seizure, and I don't think I have ever lost consciousness or awareness. I have been on the floor convulsing before, or fallen out of a chair due to convulsions, but I have always been fully aware of what was happening. Anyone else that only has simple seizures? (Never lose consciousness or awareness)
|
Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....