User Profile
I have heart disease, I never had chest pains or heart attack, my symptoms were light headiness and left backache that I put off to muscle aches. I had 75% blockage, and a stent was placed. At the time I weighed approx. 230. This was in 2002. Since then I have had a gastric bypass Roux-en-Y and have lost approx 130 pounds, (my weight at this time was 250 in 2008). I still feel very, very tired and somewhat light headed. My heart doctor (before I moved) was super attentive and always taking my C-Reactive Protein and other tests, but now no one wants to do a CRP test? Also, I was having nuclear tests done like every 6 months and was told that the blockage was still there, just not as bad. Then I had one where I live now and the doctor said it was fine.
How important is CRP?
I don't know if I should see a cardiologist and how often?
Shouldn't I feel more energy or at least less fatigue?
Should I have a nuclear test done again?
How do I get a doctor to care and/or listen?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 24th, 2010
Heart Disease and Heart Attack Answer A10260
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You would like to know what CRP means, and how often you should see a cardiologist when a person experiences a blockage of the heart nutritive arteries that is treated with a stent.

Atherosclerosis is a condition when plaque is built up in the walls of the arteries causing thinning of the lumen of the arteries and decreasing blood flow. A most dangerous case is when these plaques are built in blood vessels that supply the heart and the brain with oxygen and blood. The size of the blockage is confirmed with a coronarography. C-reactive protein (CRP) is a protein found in the blood, the levels of which rise in response to inflammation (an acute-phase protein). Patients with elevated basal levels of CRP are at an increased risk of diabetes, hypertension and cardiovascular disease. Heart disease as well as iron deficiency (a condition common after gastric bypass) may cause fatigue, headache and dizziness.

Given the data that you described, you experience blockage of the left coronary artery treated with a stent. Consult a cardiologist about the frequency of the control exams and the tests that should be done. You may consider having a blood count with hemoglobin level checked to rule out anemia. Have a checkup to look for any possible malignant tumors which may also be characterized with fatigue and appetite loss. You may need to have a surgery for its removal if diagnosed with a malignant tumor.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.