Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

Defined clitoris size

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
For years now, I've been frustrated, embarrassed and insecure of my sexual self. I've looked at numerous diagrams and pictures of the female sex anatomy, and my clitoris area appears different. I have this excess skin (about 3/4 of an inch long) that hangs down right next to my clitoris, and pretty much covers it -- which has made stimulation of the clitoris difficult, and it gets in the way. It appears that I don't have a clitoral hood either. I think I'm abnormal down there. I've tried talking to my gynecologist about it, but she just avoided the question -- I think need to switch to a new one. Am I abnormal down there?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 19th, 2010
Womens Conditions Answer A9293

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. In the Atlas of Human Sex Anatomy by Dr. Robert Latou Dickinson, the normal clitoris is defined as having a crosswise width of 3 to 4 mm. (0.12 - 0.16 inches) and a lengthwise width of 4 to 5 mm (0.16 - 0.20 inches). If it is larger than that clitoromegaly has to be ruled out. It can be due to congenital or acquired causes. I would suggest that you get it evaluated by a gynecologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For an exact diagnosis, you are advised to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Womens Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.