Medical Questions > Relationships > Pets and Animals Forum

death of my beloved dog basil

User Profile
basil was with me frm 6wks old,he was a tan and whit jack russell,a wk before his 4th birthday he fell out of my bed in a grand mal seizure.totally out of the blue.he had another 5wks later and this was the shape of things to come i had him to the vet noless than 30 times inside the nxt 14mths.he was on phenabarbatol and potassium bromide which had absolutely no effect.the fits came at 5-6 wk intervials.sometimes he would have 3 or 4 more often it could be 24 in a night.i sat nursing him the whole time.he would stop breathing his mouth would go black and when he came out of it hed scream and try to climb furniture and the walls.so distressing to watch and hell for him,conclusion;he had a brain tumor,at least thats what the vets thought'iv been ownd by 6dogs in my life 2 i still have a staffy and a yorkie,but no dog has touched my heart as deeply as my basil,he loved and adored me and i him,he was 5yrs and 2mths old when he was p.t.s a very hard choice to make,but he had gone into elepticous non interuptis and didnt come out of the seizures.hes gone 16mths and i miss him sorely lifes not the same,it never will be.love u basil 02-07.gone too soon.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 28th, 2009
death of my beloved dog basil
I am so sorry about the passing of your dog Basil ~ it so very hard to lose a furry memeber of the family. You did so much for him and I'm sure he knew how loved he was. Terrible to hear what you both went through.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
|

User Profile
replied April 29th, 2009
corrine m
thank u for ur kind words.iv lost 3other much loved dogs through old age but its so hard when they r so young.basil really was 1 in a million,a devoted little man i miss him as much as i did when he first left me or prob more.not a day goes by that i dont cry for him. my loss is heavens gain,he always was an angel.i told him often enough,best wishes and love.xxxxxxxxxxxxx
|

replied May 12th, 2009
Active User, very eHealthy
I am so sorry. I have lost pets and I know how hard it is...they are your life and when you loose them there is no amount of comfort to console the loss you are fealing. My thoughts are with you.
|

User Profile
replied August 6th, 2009
I had to put down my 18 year old dog, yes it was her time but it has been a week now since I had to make the decision, she was of her food, and I had to assist her helping her to stand, I was hand feeding her, and she had a long and loving life and happy - I took her everywhere with me for 18 years, vacations, everywhere but work. I cried for 2 days and the 3rd day me & my daughter (23 yrs) and old friend who I adopted with put her down, Saturday. Now it is Thursday, a beautiful day out and I am stuck in my house, can't get a bath, and keep having crying spells. Does she understand what I had to do? I miss her so much, and need to come out of this funk. I had to do business 2 days ago but have locked myself away from the world since. How long should I expect to be overwhelmed like this? I thought I was recovered the other day, today is just a bad one, can't keep thinking of her.
|

replied January 27th, 2010
Experienced User
I am ddply sorry when any beloved animal passes. Time changes the feeling a little. But, when the love is so strong it does change how you are. It is like a tramatic accidend. Shocked to the core. I still break down about my beloved four legged son. Not as often as before. It has been a few years. However I finally had a wonderful dream and felt as if he was telling me how happy he is now and that his love for me goes on. (wow did he have a lot to say in dream lol) He always was a talker. I hope more people find the unconditional love of a pet and do not grieve too hard when their time comes. Every living thing owes nature one death. I was read the Rainbow Bridge after my loved one passed. I highly recomend it. It also got my best friend better about her loss over her beloved pet. Talking helps. Even if you use this forum that is fine, we all need to vent. I think Basil is my favorite spice btw. Maybe garlic but, I wouln't name anyone garlic. lol
Keep up your spirits k owing that you loved them and they loved you. And you both knew it.
Warmest Regards,
bamm
|

User Profile
replied January 27th, 2010
Grief over the death of my Dog of 18+ years
Thank you, that was very nice and insightful. For some reason these last few weeks it has weighed heavily on me; doesn't take much to get a tear in my eye. Not like the uncontrollable out breaks I had at first; but 6 months later; it is still so hard at times. Mostly I am not busy with work right now; so I need to get back in my studio and do something! But I too have had a few dreams where she comes to me to check, like she is waiting and happy, but take my time cause I have things to do; but she is there! I think it is because when we are in a deep sleep we are most open to our sixth sense (a few tears as I write this). I since moved to a new place; and I guess it is the first place she didn't get to come with me, that is probably what is bothering me. Ogie doesn't "talk" like we do; just the language that her and I shared with looks and body language and smiles... when my day comes I am 100% sure that she will be there; tail a wagging, with other humans that have passed; I just feel her stronger. It was a trauma, and a loss that not to many people can relate to unless they to have had to put there own animal down. Like putting a child to death (or pulling the plug while they are awake?) and it has changed me forever. I would never trade the years I spent with that lovely animal. Thank you again.
|

replied August 21st, 2010
uhlizza wrote:

How long should I expect to be overwhelmed like this? I thought I was recovered the other day, today is just a bad one, can't keep thinking of her.

My beloved dog, amos, was put down in 1998...i still have his picture on my fridge and i still cry every time i really think about how grateful i am to have had this particular dog come into my life...i can laugh and joke now when relating stories to people about him but when i'm alone and start thinking about him really hard - it seems like it was just yesterday i had him with me...

I feel your pain and wish you well
|