User Profile
For about 5 years i struggled with bulimia and I have already had my gull bladder out and I have holes in my esophagus. About a year ago I was diagnosed with GERDS. I have been taking nexium to help it, but lately it has been acting up alot. Nexium has not been helping me. I even have been taking Mylanta and that is not helping. My stomach and chest hurts so much it feels like it is going to explode or something. I just wanted to know what this could be and even though I dont have insurance if I should go to the doctor?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 16th, 2009
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A5401
GERD (gastro-esophageal-reflux-disease) is not a single diagnosis but a syndrome that can be due to several conditions like hiatus hernia, gastritis, stomach ulcer, stomach cancer, etc. Whatever caused your GERD, you will need a barium swallow X-ray and an upper endoscopy (gastroscopy) to reveal the real cause. Reducing your weight and taking medicines like proton pump inhibitors, antacids and H2-blockers could be helpful in your case.

You could consult a gastroenterologist about your case.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.