Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Dealing with extreme stress at work

I've been at the same job for almost 10 years. It's never been perfect but about 2 years ago we got a new boss that came in and changed the way we do everything..and not for the better. We are kept in the dark and are thrown under the bus during meetings. Not to mention the fact that HE DOES NOTHING except delegate and watch us like we are in kindergarten as opposed to treating us like the professionals we are.

My new boss (my immediate supervisor and not the other new guy) was hired not knowing ANYTHING about what we do and it's frustrating to still have to train your boss after 2 years!! I have tons of anxiety and stress dealing with these people and can't switch jobs because there arent any in my field right now. The little things they do make me super paranoid and I fear for my job is in jeapordy.

My question is, how do I cope with this place. I make more than my husband and really need this job. I'm walking during breaks, workout at the gym before work, listen to music and keep to myself but I'm still stressed out. Any suggestions?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 30th, 2016
hello and welcome

your concern is appreciated

its definitely a hard situation for you and it will take a lot of you to cope with it but you have to keep your self composed and handle the matter very intelligently to save your job, anxiety and over pressurizing your self would not help you it will further deteriorate your abilities and caliber of work. you can make your self understand that you have to do your job with your full ability and you should try to adjust in the present circumstances to be secure that is all you can do, the fear of unknown should not make you paranoid at the level that it starts affecting your work. you cannot control everything in your life but yes you can handle the situation tactfully , do what ever you can and the rest will take care of it self. the point is you should not let anxiety and depression ruin your working caliber as it will further worsen the circumstances. you can definitely take help by taking medications for the time being till the matter is less stressful in consult with your doctor. your family support can make you fell better too. exercise , doing your favorite hobbies can all help you feel good.

hope it helps
thanks.

|

replied May 4th, 2016
Hi Southernbelle2,

You definitely have made a great start with the exercise and music. It definitely seems like the things that are stressing you out are largely out of your control (i.e. incompetent management). I would like to suggest you try a responsibility transfer exercise.

Another option might be meditation. Take a look at headspace. There is a free 10 day trial called "Take 10". It's a 10 minute meditation each day for 10 days.

It might be cliche but I think it applies for your situation. "Accept the things you can't change but have the courage to change the things you can".

Keep an eye out for positions in your field and give the 2 exercises above a try. If you have any questions, someone to talk to, or more ideas like what I shared above feel free to message me and I'll help in whatever way I can.
|

replied May 4th, 2016
Meditation is the only thing that helps me through a very similar situation . . .
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.