User Profile
I suffered a closed head injury ,a result of a car accident. I had to be tabbed (twice) to reduce brain swelling ,since that time I"ve had continual headaches and facial and muscle spasms.A couple of years ago I was hurt at work but we had no works comp. but they carried me to er, there they took a ct brain scan these are the results, maybe you can help me understand them there is a question of a mild old interruption of the medial wall of the right orbit there is a low density lesion in the right frontal lobe of unclear significance this maybe old infarction or encephalomalacia secondary to prior trauma. Since this time I have developed high blood pressure can you give me any advice

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 14th, 2010
Neurological Disorders Answer A9144
Thank you for your question on ehealthforum.com

Head injuries can result in shifting of the brain within the cranial cavity and result in concussion due to changes in pressure of cerebrospinal fluid. An increase in fluid pressure is usually associated with headaches and also blurry vision. In most cases of head injuries symptoms like disorientation, confusion and sleep disorders are found.

Your CT scan report suggests that there is a discontinuity in the medial wall of the orbit (inside wall of the bony eye socket), which probably must have happened due to your closed head injury. Most of medial wall fractures do not cause any problem

A right frontal lobe showing a low density lesion suggesting infarction, may also have happened at the same time of the head injury. When a blood supply to any area in the brain is interrupted due to any cause, an infarct is produced and it changes its appearance on scan image. Frontal lobe infarcts do not cause any life threatening problems. They do cause certain changes like confusion, memory loss and personality changes.

From the information you provided, I do not see any reason to be worried. However, I would suggest that you speak to your doctor and discuss the results, as it is always advisable to interpret results taking clinical status into consideration. Thank you

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Neurological Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.