Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Dealing with broken ligaments and broken bones

User Profile
I fell off a 4 foot drop on Friday and hurt my ankle pretty bad. Very swollen all around ankle and on top of foot and above ankle. Very painful, very hard to walk. Bruising all the way around my ankle and on top of foot and above the outside of my ankle. I am worried about severe ligament damage. I am unemployed so can't rack up medical bills. With this severe of an injury when do you think I should see improvment or when should I go get it checked out. I don't even know where to go.
Thanks in advance for your help!
I have pictures but don't see where I can post them.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile

User Profile
replied January 27th, 2009
General Q and A Answer A5547
If you have broken ligaments or bones of the ankle you have to ask for medical attention. If you only have extended ligaments or torn muscle you may not need professional medical attention. But the problem is that you can never be sure about the precise diagnosis without professional medical attention.

You could consult an orthopedist about your condition.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Orthopedics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.