Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Dealing with bipolar husband

Hi, My husband was diagnosed with bipolar about 2 years ago. He was very manic and I ended up getting a restraining order. We have 2 children. It was a very frightening time. He is home and in the beginning I wanted to move on and try to put things behind us but he always would just start arguments and it was impossible to communicate with him as he always disagreed no matter what so I stopped and just have been trying to make the best of things for our daughters. I just go ahead and run the household, etc. and try not to complain. He started working weekends so he is away a lot, works all the time, which makes it bearable. He hardly participates in any family things, which of course is my fault. I don't communicate with him he always says but can't communicate with him. Catch 22.
Now I discover he has been talking to an old girlfriend from his teen years. He is now 50. Thinks it is okay because he is just talking and I don't talk to him so he has to talk to someone. Gee, I would of thought of that! Guess there aren't any alternatives to that. He says he doesn't want to leave but said I could move on with my life. Right! In my mind I am married. I have enough with two small children to have time for any of that! As he should. I could take the not talking and things not "normal" but I cannot seem to be able to stop thinking about this. I know this other ***** must be hearing that I am abusing him and he needs her and so this is justified. He has done that in the past, told everyone what a terrible person I am. I told him this morning "what women would put up with that!" He says it isn't any worse than the way he has been treated! I know I haven't been communicating with him but it has been impossible to. I told him that I thought he should go see his psyche again and he said that he had an evaluation a long time ago and they said he was not bipolar. I don't believe that at all. So no meds, no nothing. Typical. There has been abuse towards me among many other things. It is just a cesspool. Just needed to vent and hopefully someone can share with me. It is very hard. Thanks for listening.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 2nd, 2009
Experienced User
if he's a danger to you or your children he should be in a hospital. it would help if he gets therapy and uses the right medicine

therapies include:
assertiveness training
anger management
DBT
CBT
|

replied November 10th, 2010
Experienced User
oh my Giod, I feel for you and for me, I love a BP man who has many troubles, I m his fourth relationhsip and not one was ok, of course it is not ok with me either, but Im a nurse and have done Psychology, so I know what Im in for, I want to keep in the friends zone to help him, but it is very hard, as I do love him a lot and he still wants to sleep with me, but not have a proper relationship at all. Crazy. Absolutely crazy.
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...