Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

43 days post exposure and it gave positive

User Profile
Hi Dr
I had protected sex with a CSW for 5 minutes using condom and ejaculated inside on 18-02-2014, My doctor conducted HIV PCR RNA test at 43 days post exposure and it gave positive with 225 copies/ml. I was put on ART. after taking 3 days of ART, I thought that the PCR RNA TEST may give false positive result. I repeated the PCR RNA test from Dr. Lal which gave negative. But I took another 2 days ART on fear. Then I stopped ART. Subsequently I tested for HIV AB/AG combo test by CMIA from Dr. Lal Path Lab at 46, 61, 74, 80, 86.94,108,122.129, 136 & 150 days post exposure and all came back negative. I was also tested by HIV antibody test by ECLIA method at 103 days post exposure and it came back negative. I was also tested HAV, HBV, HCV,HSV-1 & 2 and VDRL at 94 days post exposure and came negative.

From 80 days on word I am feeling peripheral neuropathy. feeling tingling, numbness, pin & niddle sensation in feet and hand.

I have no other illness.

please help and advise my status

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied July 26th, 2014
Sexually Transmitted Diseases Answer A48507
Hi, and thanks for your query on eHealth forum!

Well, HIV 1/2 Ag/Ab Combo is the first rapid point-of-care test which is quite reliable. Usually if the test is negative on repeat testing, one does not have HIV. If this test is positive, then only a Western Blot test is done. If this is positive then HIV is confirmed. In your case, the earlier test may have been false positive. Since you have neurological symptoms, then please ask your doctor to test for Lyme’s, lupus, diabetes and thyroid disorders. Some of these conditions can cause false positive HIV test. Hope this helps. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.