Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

2 days ago I enganged in risky sex ...

User Profile
I am freaking out, major anxiety and guilt. I am a married man and 2 days ago I enganged in risky sex with a man whom I did not know. I received oral to anal contact, received saliva on fingers inside anal cavity, and received unprotected oral sex to completion. The next day I developed some mild burning inside my penis. Went to clinic to get tested - bacterial tests came back negative, but still waiting on ghonorrea and chlamidia results. Have been prescribed cipro for 14 days. No improvement yet. I am terrified of what I might have. Even more terrified that I might have HIV. Can anyone advise me on the possibilities or risks? Please help, the stress/ anxiety prevents me from functioning.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 22nd, 2011
HIV and AIDS Answer A18801
Hello and thank you for posting your medical question on E health forum.

The majority of HIV infections are acquired through unprotected sexual relations. Complacency about HIV plays a key role in HIV risk. Sexual transmission can occur when infected sexual secretions of one partner come into contact with the genital, oral, or rectal mucous membranes of another.

Risk of acquring HIV are as follows:
A. Female-to-male transmission is 0.04% per act and
B. Male-to-female transmission is 0.08% per act.
C. The rate for receptive anal intercourse is much higher, 1.7% per act

Unprotected sex with a partner with unknown HIV status definitely increases the risk of infection. If possible try to ascertain the HIV status of your partner.

From the history given it seems that the risk of infection is high. Unprotected Anal sex has a higher risk of infection of the urinary tract. The penile burning sensation could be due to penile mucosal erosions.

In addition to the tests already done, you might consider to a urine analysis and culture sensitivity to rule out UTI. The infection and the symptoms, if due to UTI will subside with at least a week of treatment. It is still early stages of infection, and you need to complete the course of the antibiotics given.

You might also consider to get tested for HIV after consultation with your doctor who can provide reassurance and also can clear all your doubts that you may have. Until then avoiding sexual contact with your spouse might help spread of infection. You might in future consider to follow safe sex and use protective measures.

I hope this is helpful.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.