Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Herpes and Genital Warts Forum

dating a man who has oral herpes HSV1.

User Profile
I (girl) have begun dating a man who has oral herpes HSV1.

I have talked with two doctors about the situation, gotten wildly different takes, and have not found all the answers I want online.

- Is oral herpes a localized infection that only sheds from previously infected areas, or can it systemically shed from any skin?

- My partner has a history of oral outbreaks, but not genital outbreaks, but received oral sex from the person who gave him herpes, should we consider his genital area infected?

- If my partner kisses intact skin on my face / body that is not a mucus membrane nor genital area, is there a risk of infection? If I kiss my partners face (not around the mouth), what is the risk?

- If my partner has clean hands, is there a risk of transmission if he touches my genitals?

- Can HSV1 be transmitted in sweat, blood, or semen?

- Is there any test for degree of asymptomatic shedding?

- How contagious is HSV1? Am I statistically in for it if I continue?

Thank you!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 15th, 2011
Herpes and Genital Warts Answer A22995
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
It is difficult to answer all your queries without examination and tests done on you. I will try and answer a few of them:
Is oral herpes a localized infection that only sheds from previously infected areas, or can it systemically shed from any skin? –---- HSV can affect the whole body and have localized outbreaks.
My partner has a history of oral outbreaks, but not genital outbreaks, but received oral sex from the person who gave him herpes, should we consider his genital area infected? –---- Yes, he can shed the virus through his body fluids.
If my partner kisses intact skin on my face / body that is not a mucus membrane nor genital area, is there a risk of infection? If I kiss my partners face (not around the mouth), what is the risk? –--- Risk of transmission is less with contact with intact areas and non mucous areas.
If my partner has clean hands, is there a risk of transmission if he touches my genitals? –----- Yes, it can be considered safe.
Can HSV1 be transmitted in sweat, blood, or semen? –---- Yes, it can be easily transmitted by blood and semen. Transmission through sweat is rare and not heard of.
Is there any test for degree of asymptomatic shedding? –----No, a person can remain asymptomatic and still be able to transmit the infection. If the person is on regular treatment, then the viral load gets reduced.
How contagious is HSV1? Am I statistically in for it if I continue?------The possibility that you have already contracted the infection cannot be ruled out. Visit your doctor/gynecologist for confirmation of the infection by tests. Get started on prophylactic treatment.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Learn the basics about sexual health issues, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a sexual health disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for sexual health disorders....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Herpes and Genital Warts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.