Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Dark brown period after food poisoning

Hi all.

I recently got over a food poisoning spell that lasted from Saturday until around Tuesday. I vomited about twenty times Saturday night and my stomach felt awful for a few days afterward, but I feel a lot better now.

My period usually starts near the beginning of the month, like around the 3rd-7th, but it's late now. It seems to be coming, but nothing like it has been for about ten years now. I've always been very regular with a heavy flow that lasts around five to six days. I'm now getting an odd spotting; it comes heavily and is a dark brown, and so I put in a tampon, but it seems to stop within the hour, leaving the tampon stained with that dark brown colour, and when I wipe after removing it, the paper is clean, as if I'm not having my period at all. This has happened for two days straight now.

This is the only time my period has really ever been late in about eight years and I'm not sure it's just coincidence that it happens to have been after an episode of food poisoning. Could it just be body stress making my period act up?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 23rd, 2010
sounds familiar
Omg....this exact same thing happened to me this week.

I had food poisoning or the flu (I''m not sure which) on Monday and had a fever and threw up a large amount of liquid after which I was dehydrated for about a day and a half. I usually get my period on Tuesday or Wednesday.

I started to get dark brown spotting on Thursday evening which I thought was my period, but by this morning (Friday) it was gone. I had another clear-reddish spotting on this afternoon and that''s it.

I''m on the pill, so my period is usually like clockwork. Can you please tell me what happened with you? I am also thinking it may just be stress from being sick, but am thinking I may be pregnant...
|

replied May 15th, 2012
Similar thing happened to me
I think I had food poisoning as well and was up for several hours two nights ago with extreme pain and gas in my abdomen. I was feeling nauseous the entire time but did not throw up. The next day it felt like there had been a war in my stomach and abdominal area and it was feeling quite tender. This morning I got my period, which is on schedule as expected but it was a really dark brown colour which is very unusual. Based on what I'm reading above, this has happened to other people as well so I figure the dark brown menstruation is common after food poisoning. Thanks all for sharing.
|

replied August 2nd, 2011
salmonella poisening
I had salmonella poisoning. it was very severe, and lasted 3 weeks. After 3 weeks, I slowly started to gain my strength back little bit and i got my period early. about one week early. This was the last period that i have gotten in the past year and a half. i am wondering if the salmonella poisoning had anything to do with this... i am currently seeing several doctors to determine whats going on. maybe the severe abdominal pains that the poisoning caused me at that time, put my body all out of wack.
|

User Profile
replied August 2nd, 2011
Community Volunteer
Hi creneem88 and welcome to ehealth: I wouldn't be surprised if this did have something to do with the salmonella...When our daughter had this it affected her urinating...Got into her kidneys...She was too young to have her period, but was terribly sick...If I am not correct I believe she had some vaginal bleeding at that time...She, too, was real sick...Take care...

Caroline
|
Must Read
You've probably had a case of food poisoning at least one in your life...but what types of food poisoning exist? Basics on food poisoning here....
Not everyone will get sick from contaminated food. Learn who is more at risk of food poisoning, and what factors increase bacterial growth here....
How do you know if you've got a case of salmonella food poisoning versus e. coli? Learn the basic symptoms of food poisoning and when to seek help here....