Hi. I'm 15 years old and bulimic. Ive only been for a month. But i've been throwing up every day. I think i only missed two days this month. But ive started to become sick. Like with my throat, i dont really know whats wrong but im kinda freaked out because i know about what can happen with your esophagus and all that. But can it seriously make me sick in just a month? I also do not binge. And ive become obbessed with it. Those two days i didnt do it, i felt horriblee. The only person that knows is my best friend, and her mom is a nurse. She asked her about it (not saying my name) and her mom said it's very dangerous to be bulimic. This whole month i havent been hungry at all and ive been feeling like i keep having to throw up, unforcefully. What's wrong with me?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 6th, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to write in and for expressing concern about your health.

Your topic question is "How dangerous is bulimia?" The short answer: Very dangerous.

Yes. Bulimia is a serious disorder that can cause serious medical and psychological issues for those who engage in these behaviors. Your question about whether or not your insides can be negatively impacted in a month's time are best directed to a trusted medical professional who specializes in eating disorders. You say you are "throwing up every day" but you do not say how many times per day. Every person is different in terms of what their body can handle before it starts to break down and stop working properly. It is entirely possible that your body is already responding negatively to your behaviors; however, you need to be evaluated by a medical professional as soon as possible. In addition, I strongly recommend that you find a licensed mental health professional who specializes in eating disorders. He/she can work with you to determine how all of this started for you, what is contributing to it now, and what can be done to help you get back to behaviors that are healthy for you and that will allow you to live a healthy and satisfying life.

Please consider taking these steps. Please go as soon as you can. Although your friend can relay information to her nurse mother, you need someone who can work with you directly.

I wish you well and hope that you are able to get the assistance you need.

-Dr. Selby

|
Users who thank Christine Selby for this post: Smiley407 

replied September 6th, 2009
Experienced User
It is VERYYYYYYYYYYY SERIOUS!!!!!!!!!!! i think it wears away your espophagus and soon you could start loseing gagging feelings and need an object to reach down for you like a fork or somthing. I once saw a show where a girl dropped a fork into her throat because she couldnt use her finger to help throw up. Try to get help
|

replied September 7th, 2009
Thanks so much.
But i still do have one question, why aren't i ever hungry? My mom is getting very suspicious that i am not eating and she forces me too. And i hate it.
But yes, i only do it once a day.
|

User Profile
replied September 25th, 2009
You may have lost your appetite due to regular vomiting, as I've found that the body often changes itself to become more comfortable with a new routine, good or bad. Because you're not digesting much, your stomach has probably begun to shrink and the lack of hunger signals could be a way for your body to protect itself from the impending damage of forced vomiting later.
|
Users who thank InvaderRed for this post: Smiley407 

replied October 2nd, 2009
My advice- get help and get it NOW. I remember when i was in your shoes.. and I got hooked SOO fast. Within a few weeks..I remember saying it was okay because it had only been a month..2 months.. i could stop it.. but now here I am 8 yrs later with the same problem. The sooner u get help the better. Dont be afraid to ask!! It can make you lose your appetite. .your stomach can get confused and get used to the feeling of hunger and you wont even notice it. And YES it is dangerous. People tend to focus on anorexia being more dangerous (if you are at a low weight etc) but bulimia is very dangerous too. If you are not binging, doctors would probably diagnose you as 'Bulmiarexic' I am 23 now, thought I was getting away with no major health problems.. but i was wrong. I had minor ones here and there over the years. And actually, the past 5 yrs I havent even done it daily.. just a few times a week. BUT i just had to have surgery on my vocal cords. (the acid from purging, though i never even purged until I tasted acid really) has burned my esophagus and my vocal cords and did serious damage. Didnt hit me until a few months ago.. about 4 months ago when I began losing my voice and couldnt hardly talk anymore. Now I cant even talk for 14 days, or whisper until I am healed from surgery. its terrible! If I go back to purging, I will need the surgery repeated.. and eventually the damage could be permanate to my vocal cords,esophagus, and voice. I hope you get help!!
|
Users who thank Km7182 for this post: Smiley407 

replied October 10th, 2009
Whoa, thanks so much!
Yeah dude i feel like, i just can't stop ya know? It's so freaking hard. I am not at a really low weight, maybe a little bit under average or normal.

I really hope your gonna heal good!
|

replied November 11th, 2009
I heard of the symptoms of Bulimia just recently and I was wondering if binge-eating and vomiting occasionally is a sign of bulimia?
|
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Eating Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.