I;m not sure if i am classified as a spiccific type of ED but i know i have something i from not eating to over eating and then purging taking laxatives and i never fill thin eniugh i dont know what to do
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 9th, 2008
Supporter
It sounds as though you suffer from bulimia. While I was relieved to see that you are not making yourself throw up, it is still dangerous to purge using laxatives.

"The medical complications of laxative abuse depend on several factors, including the type of laxatives used, the amount used, and how long they have been used. Some of the more common complications of laxative abuse follow.

Constipation. Repeated use of laxatives actually causes constipation. This may lead people to increase the dosage of the amount of laxative, which in turn only worsens the constipation problem.

Dehydration. Laxatives cause fluid loss through the intestines. Dehydration then impairs body functioning.

Electrolyte abnormalities. Many people who abuse laxatives often demonstrate electrolyte imbalances. Electrolytes such as potassium, sodium, and chloride are important to life functions. With chronic diarrhea, electrolytes are drawn out of the body through the feces. This leads to an electrolyte imbalance in the body.

Edema. As noted before, laxatives cause fluid loss. Dramatic changes or fluctuations in fluid balance confuse the body's self-regulating protective mechanisms by retaining fluid. As a result, prolonged laxative abuse frequently leads to fluid retention or edema.

Bleeding. People who abuse laxatives, especially the stimulant-type laxatives, can develop blood in their stools. Chronic blood loss associated with laxative abuse can lead to anemia.

Impaired bowel function. People who abuse stimulant-type laxatives can develop permanent impairment of bowel function."

©Eating Disorders Review, PO Box 2238, Carlsbad, CA 92018 (800)756-7533

I hope you get some help IMMEDIATELY before this problem worsens. Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....