Hi,

I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong forum but it seemed the most appropriate.

So here is the background on my situation:
I'm a 20 year old male that was studying abroad in Spain when this started, about 3 months ago. I've always been generally healthy and I believe I was reaching a physical fitness peak (working out 3-5 times per week for at least an hour) when the dizziness began. At the exact moment it began, I was walking down the street with a heavy bag, the strap on my right shoulder, when all of a sudden from one second to the next I was hit with a strong sense of unsteadiness. I don't know if this is considered dizziness or vertigo but I felt as if I was not stable with walking and my vision/mind felt jumbled or confused. The initial onset caused me to have nausea, heart palpitations, and a strong feeling as if I were to pass out. I didn't pass out and after a few hours the sense of unsteadiness subsided. Ever since this initial episode, I have not felt it as strongly but I now feel like I'm unsteady walking around every single day and usually wake up with a slight headache or feeling some kind of head pressure, usually on the top of my head, back of my head, temples, and sinuses. I've also experienced consistent neck stiffness/mild pain. This is brought on when I am walking around outside, or at the mall, or basically any instance where I am swiveling my head often. However, it is not brought on while I am driving. If I'm sitting on my couch watching Netflix or something on my computer or TV I rarely get the symptoms. Some days I wake up and experience sensitivity to light in the morning, but not every day. Also sometimes when I lay down to go to bed at night I feel the sense of imbalance. I have not had any other symptoms of fever, chills, malaise, or otherwise feeling like I'm sick. The most is some congestion and sinus pressure. About 2 months ago, 1 month after the initial onset, I tried going for a run to not have a complete halt to my exercise routine and ended up feeling the unsteadiness once again. Roughly 30 minutes after I stopped running I felt some tingling on the left side of my face and left arm/leg. It almost felt like pins and needles and numb. Ever since then I have consistently woken up feeling some kind of weakness, or some strange feeling I can't describe, in my left arm or leg, usually one or the other not at the same time.

The treatments I've sought:
I saw a doctor in Spain that ordered complete blood work done on me, including thyroid, to the extent that when I showed my doctors in the US they were surprised by how thorough they were. It all checked out normal. The doctor recommended I look for something vestibular or in my cervical spine that may be the cause when I returned to the US. This was before the episode of numbness/tingling, everything from here after was done after that episode. I went to an Optometrist wondering if it was my eyes, he said they looked fine and there was not much of a change from my previous year's prescription. My primary care doctor referred me to a Neurologist that ordered an MRI of the brain, MRI of the cervical spine, MRA of the neck, and MRA of the brain, all with contrast. They all checked out normal. I was also referred to see a Cardiologist for the heart palpitations; my EKG, ultrasound of the heart, and stress test all checked out normal. I was referred to an ENT who had me take a VNG test, it checked out normal, and I was tested for BPPV which was negative. My primary care doctor suggested I seek out a second opinion on the MRI/MRAs I had gotten done and she suggested a Neurosurgeon, he reviewed everything and said it all looked normal. None of my doctors have any idea what this could be and are saying that it should just go away with time. It has been 3 months and I haven't felt any better. My ENT said I could try and see a Chiropractor so I went to one and he said it looked like I had Occipital Neuralgia and has begun treating me for that. I haven't seen any improvement in my condition.

I don't know what other doctor I could see at this point and have started thinking this could be something psychological. It has seriously impacted my ability to leave my home and see my friends because I always start feeling foggy and unbalanced. If anyone has any suggestions on what I could do or what this could be please let me know. I'm going into my last year of college and my biggest fear is that this will prevent me from attending class and having a healthy social life.

Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 11th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
These symptoms are consistent with somatoform disorder with associated anxiety. I would suggest you to consult psychiatrist to evaluate you.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Muscular and Nerve Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.