Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

dad has 5mm saccular brain aneurysm which bled then clotted

User Profile
My dad has a 5mm saccular brain aneurysm which bled then clotted by itself months ago but has only been found in the last month. We are waiting to hear back from neurosurgeons to decide on the operation and I am very scared about the outcome. I've read all about the clipping and the coiling. I think they will end up going with the clipping procedure from what I've gathered. My dad is 64 and also has a blocked carotid artery (which is what he initially went to hospital for and then they found the aneurysm. He is on many medications for really bad migraines and dizziness which they think are coming from the aneurysm. Can you please tell me what the chances are of a good outcome? I know it will be a long recovery but that is fine as long as he can come through the operation well. I'm really scared.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 28th, 2015
Neurological Disorders Answer A52020
Welcome to e health forum.

Brain aneurysms can be treated using surgery if they have burst (ruptured) or if there is a risk that they will. Surgery also has potentially serious complications, such as brain damage or stroke. Hence surgery is done only after assessing the risk of aneurysm repair.

Risk of rupture of the aneurysms and consequent mortality is more likely due to - advanced age of the patient, , aneurysm size larger than 7mm, aneurysms on the larger blood vessels, associated medical conditions like high blood pressure.

In such cases - surgical repair of the aneurysms at the earliest is indicated.

Serious health problems, which may be more likely in some individuals especially if they are very elderly, may increase the chances of having complications during aneurysm surgery. If the general health of your father is good, then there is no need to avoid the procedure for aneurysm repair.

But surgical treatment for cranial aneurysm repair carries the risks including - bleeding in the brain or blood clotting, swelling of the brain, infections, seizures, strokes, neurological weakness, of defects of speech, balance, vision, memory, etc. Risks associated with anesthesia used to conduct the surgery also has risks of possible breathing or cardiac issues which can result in unexpected death during surgery.

Though the risks have been explained here, it is not likely that your father might actually have them, as long as he has experienced team of doctors treating him. It would be recommended that you consult the treating doctors and seek proper counselling and advice.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Neurological Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.