Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Cyst ? a fleshy kind of tissue pocket came out.

I know it isnt wise but this lump on the side of my head has bothered me for a few years. So tonight I decided to get rid of it if I could. Well the good news is its gone, but now Im curious what it is/was ? I have a picture I was hoping to post but I guess you cant do that on here. It was a small lump under my skin on the right side of my head near my temple. It was never sore or hurt me,it just was a knot under the skin. I used a new razor blade , shaved the spot where it was located and made a deep incision. I then sgueezed and squeezed until I had something come out. At first it was a thick white paste material that came out, after another good squeeze a fleshy kind of tissue pocket came out. The lump has vanished but now I would like to know what it was.Thanks for any help you can give me.I hope I didnt totally gross you out.Take care.....
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 1st, 2016

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

It can be due to a sebaceous cyst. A sebaceous cyst is a closed sac occurring just under the skin which contains a "pasty" or "cheesy" looking substance called keratin.They may occur anywhere on body but scalp is a common site.

Generally no treatment is required but they become painful then it means they are infected. Then oral antiinflammatory drugs, antibiotics and surgical excision may be needed.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and regards.
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.