Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Cyclothymia - Bipolar, Eating Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive(OCD

User Profile
Hello,

My daughter, of legal age, who moved back in with us (her parents) asked for help on dealing with her eating disorder & anxiety issues back in early 2011 -- since end of 2011 she decided to seek professional help and her eating disorder has made great progress. She attends psych sessions every week and the psychologist specializes in the eating & ocd disorders. The psychologist did mention that there could be some mild bipolar issues but it was the attending physician who was to give the diagnostic. Last week her attending physician confirmed that she has cyclothymia and that medication may be forthcoming. However it appears that my daughter is not to keen on medication. Unfortunately she has experienced seeing me sick too often, currently in the midst of healing my third depression (this has been the hardest one of the three) What's the timeline that my daughter has on making a decision about the prescribed drugs before damage is caused. I am going to read more about the bipolar disorder but if you could just give me some guidelines, something for me to work with. Yesterday I had my scheduled aptmt with my physician, but he tends to focus on me and since my child is of legal age, I can't seem to get help about this. Everyone refers me to my child, but she closes herself out, she withdraws, and wants to be on her own. She says that being away from everyone gives her a better chance to control her emotions, reactions. The past 1.5 week has been a low/sad period. Then she gets spurts of high, has great difficulty sleeping. She appears to be in denial and not keen on taking prescribed meds. Much obliged, a worried Mom
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper guest31449
|

replied April 5th, 2012
Experienced User
Hi FionaPita, she's not alone, and neither are you. I have bipolar disorder, and have had symptoms since I was 13. I was once diagnosed as bipolar 1 mixed, but since it's been almost 5 years, I just now started going back and am glad. I'm currently am bipolar NOS-no otherwise specified just to be sure. I understand the anxiety part as well, I take Xanax to help with it, but alot of it is linked to my OCD and illness as well. It is hard and I know you want to help you daughter. Sometimes it's hard to understand why, but with the right help and medication she can get better and lead a normal life. a good doctor can give you advice on the illness and what to expect and what you can do to help. There is also information online, and doctor sites like WebMD. The best you can do is be there for her, and let her know. The illness is a hard and stubborn one. It really does almost control the person and their behavior. You can always talk to me or ask me anything. Take care!
|

User Profile
replied April 6th, 2012
Dear AMowns, thank you so much for your support and kind words. Just this morning my dtr, on her own, brought up the subject about speaking with her psychologist about including her boyfriend (4 yrs) in one of her sessions, and she also mentioned that she's going to talk to her psych about seeing a psychiatrist & her attending physician about taking prescribed medication or natural products. At least she is now open to discussion. But your words of wisdom were just what I needed. Also the info about info online & the doctor sites were much appreciated. You are brave and kind person to be out there sharing your story, being so generous with your knowledge & information. Your are a good listener and a kind in your feedback. I am so grateful and continue taking good care of yourself. And even though I may not be an experienced user of this forum, or have experience in this medical matter, I can be there for you should you need me. Smile
|

replied April 6th, 2012
Experienced User
Aw, thanks! And no problem! I hope everything works out for her and you, and this is a life ling journey, there is no permanent cure, but hope! Always remember there is hope, and take care!
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...