Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

cycles varying 45-100 days, hypothyroidism, pcod, obesity?

User Profile
i amm 23yrs old med student with irregular periods from menarche, cycles varying 45-100 days, with weight of 65 kg, height 165 cm, abdominal circumference of 102cm, increased sleep, constipation, dry.skin.. my t3,t4,tsh are normal. i haven't done free t3/ t4/ usg abdomen yet.. could i be having hypothyroidism, pcod/ its only obesity related? shud i start on metformin/eltroxin/ocp's ? would i have normal fertility? shud i get withdrawal bleed wth sm drugs atleast evrry 3 months..? pls help me out..

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 22nd, 2012
Menstruation Answer A36308
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
Avoid self medication. If you have been having long gaps between periods, it could suggest anovulatory cycles (menstrual cycles without release of egg from ovary) which usually occurs during pubertal stages. Other possibilities include PCOS, ovarian suppression, hormonal derangements, etc. The exact cause can be made out only after careful evaluation. Consider visiting your doctor/gynecologist at the earliest for thorough examination and further evaluation to look for the underlying cause. Treatment as appropriate (based on examination findings and investigations results) would be started to help you regulate your periods. If you are not ready for pregnancy, but intend to become/remain sexually active, you should consider visiting your gynecologist to get started on suitable regular birth control measures to be protected (after your periods). Be regular with birth control use as instructed. Avoid having unprotected sexual contact if you are not ready for pregnancy. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Drink plenty of water. Take adequate rest. Maintain healthy diet and lifestyle.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.