Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

cycle of re-injury and re-agitation Flexor Carpi Radialus

Hello Guys, I'm going to try and make this as short as possible.

About 6 months ago I injured my Flexor Carpi Radialus Tendon from rock climbing. This is a tendon in the underside of the fore-arm, wrist region. If you flip your hand upside down with your palm facing up, and wiggle your fingers you will see tendons in your forearms moving around and sticking out of the skin. This is the region where my tendon is.

For the first 2 months of the injury I just let it sit and tried not to use it and let it heal. I would heal to the point where the pain went away after 1 week, but things like opening a car door too hard, or picking up a gallon of milk would agitate it and set me back about one week in the process of healing. This cycle continued for 2 months. One week of healing, agitation, back to where I started.

The next 3 months I did physical therapy religiously. I visited a great chiropractor who treats pro climbers across the world. She helped tremendously with deep tissue therapy, acupuncture and more. She helped tremendously in the fact that I could heal faster with her help. However, every week or 2 weeks I continued to heal and then re-agitate my tendon and be back to square one. This cycle continued for the next 3 months. Healing to the point where I have no pain, then re-agitating by accidentally yanking on a seat belt, etc. Mind you I still couldn't twist off the cap of a water bottle at this point.

The past 1-2 months have been spent in a different state, so with a new chiropractor. I am now doing electro-therapy and ultrasound therapy, which seems to help a little. But, still, this cycle of re-injury and re-agitation continues.

2 weeks ago the chiropractor performed a test on me called an EMI (Electro Meridian Imaging) which tests to see if your body is inflamed/upset from your diet. My test was off the charts, and I maxed out the graphs. The doctor said my body is not happy and is inflamed. So currently I have blood shipped off to California for testing. The results will tell me what part of my diet is affecting my body negatively. The doctor said this possibly could be part of my body not healing.

Though I have been mentioning that I notice my tendon get better at times, I have gone weeks where it felt static and like it almost wasn't improving. Even though I can notice improvement and healing at times, it is at such a slow rate, sometimes hard to even track or notice.

Sorry for the length. I would very much appreciate any thoughts on this. I appreciate your time in advance if you do reply.

Have a good day
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 24th, 2015
Welcome to e health forum.

It seems that the injury you have sustained is severe and possibly it could be due to a grade 3 strain (severe tear).

A Grade I (mild) sprain or strain involves some stretching or minor tearing of a ligament or muscle.

A Grade II (moderate) sprain or strain is a ligament or muscle that is partially torn but still intact.

A Grade III (severe) sprain or strain means that the ligament or muscle is completely torn, resulting in joint instability.

Grade I injuries usually heal quickly with rest, ice, compression, and elevation (RICE). Therapeutic exercise can also help restore strength and flexibility. Grade II injuries are treated similarly but may require immobilization of the injured area to permit healing.

Grade III sprains and strains usually require immobilization and possibly surgery to restore function.

In your case, since conservative management of the injury would not be helpful as seen from your long experience, it would be recommended that you consult with a orthopedic surgeon and seek a proper medical opinion and treatment.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Diet
Quick Reply
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Orthopedics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.