User Profile
The cardiologist did a number of tests on me and determined that my heart was perfectly fine. I have recently been reading online forums where people report similar problems and said that cutting sugar out of their diet made the problems go away. I, like those people, ate an absurd amount of sugar, I also had high blood sugar the last time I had my blood checked, and I think diabetes may run in my family (my mom has it). Consequently I have decided to quit sugar completely, at least the processed kind. I was wondering, do you think this would apply to fruits and sugar-containing vegetables and grains as well? I know these things have a lot of essential nutrients for our diet(tomatoes, onions, peppers etc.), but do you think the sugars in those foods would be further exacerbating my problem? Should I not worry about them, cut them out completely or eat them in moderation? Thanks

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 27th, 2010
Chest Pain Answer A10330
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out.

If you have already been diagnosed as a diabetic, then you need to avoid fruits which are sweet like grapes, banana, mangoes etc.

However, refined sugars are much more dangerous than the natural sugars present in the fruits. Tomatoes, onions, peppers etc don’t contain any significant amounts of sugars and thus can be consumed safely without any risk.

You should definitely avoid refined sugars as far as possible as they significant add to the body weight by converting into fat in our bodies.

Please do some regular exercise like brisk walking which is extremely important. Eating more of raw vegetables and salads is quite important as that facilitates in adding roughage and cutting our calorie intake.

I sincerely hope this information helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Learn the basics about mental disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a mental health condition. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for mental conditions....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.