User Profile
Im currently a freshman in college who recently discovered while shaving that i had some bumps, swollen outer labia pores and it over all looked a more pinkish color. I ended up going to the clinic at my school where i was looked at, the first time the nurse saw me there she told me it was genital warts and that she would treat me with this acid. When I came back to begin my treatment and she took a closer look she informed me that it was molluscum and made her final diagnosis. I didn't take any blood test or pap smears the diagnosis was based only on what she saw. Im skeptical because since both can look the same or well have similar features and can easily be mistaken is it possible i have genital warts? is there a test i can take that comes up positive for either one where i would know which one exactly i have?

After being treated for the molluscum i developed itchiness and was diagnosed with a yeast infection. Was this connected? could this be causing the swelling and redness?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 12th, 2010
Sexually Transmitted Diseases Answer A16598
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum!

Sadly both for genital warts and for molluscum contagiosum there is no specific test except for skin biopsy in molluscum. Diagnosis is by clinical observation. If you are sexually active then both are possible. Itchiness can also be due to the acid you applied.

Vaginal itch can be due to fungal infection, dry vagina, STDs, chemical irritation or due to allergy.

Vaginal bumps can also be due to Bartholin cyst. Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please discuss these possibilities with your gynecologist once. Hope this helps. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Chlamydia is the most common STD in the U.S. Learn how this potentially serious sexually transmitted disease is spread so you can protect yourself....
Learn more about the germ that causes this sexually transmitted infection (STI) and evaluate whether or not you are at high risk of getting chlamydia here....
Left untreated, chlamydia can cause serious complications such as infertility. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of chlamydia here to prevent illness....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexually Transmitted Diseases , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.