Medical Questions > Cancer > Brain Cancer Forum

CT scans to detect brain metassis

Must Read
Brain basics here - what is a tumor and how do doctors understand brain cancer? ...
What puts you at risk of developing brain cancer? Review the most common risk factors for brain cancer so that you can be informed....
Brain cancer symptoms are wide ranging and various. Look out for these common symptoms of brain cancer and learn when you should seek medical help....
Alright, well in my previous posts i had mentioned how i was getting head pains daily and suddenly for over 4 months now. Just recently i have noticed that the headaches and pains have a changed a bit. Before they were sharp short lasting pains around the top of my head and now im feeling a pressure and squeesing around the back and sides of head. After 4 Months i got tests done including blood test, ECG, Urine test and of course the CT scan without contrast to (apparently) rule out a brain tumor. However i did a tremendous amount of research in both brain tumors and neuro imaging and i know that my family doctor gave me a non contrast CT scan instead of an MRI because of little suspision. But the fact is, I read that MRI's are much more superior then CT scans in detecting brain metassis. I'm still waiting for the results of the CT scan and its been over 2 weeks. If the CT scan comes back negative should i ask for a contrast MRI? or should i be able to potentially rule out brain tumor with just the CT scan?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 5th, 2008
is there somebody who can offer me some advice. its really starting to get to me so bad that im almost always depressed.
|

replied June 5th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I can give you some advice. First of all there are three level of scans.

CT
MRI
PET

Each of these level goes deeper into the area that may have a detection. Now, if you have a CT scan, there is alot of thing that can be missed. Cancer for one. If you have an MRI, somethings my show up as shadows. But, with contrast it will glow white. This is usualy done for brakes and facet changes in you spine. ei.....disc problems etc....
Now, if the doctor seriously thinks cancer is detected, he will order a Pet scan. Why? Because a PET scan is the deepest X-Ray right now know to man. All cancer cells will radiate bright red on the image film. There is no doubt with a PET scan.
ALL should be done with contrast.

Hope this helped
|

replied June 5th, 2008
hi
try not to worry..i know its easy to say but wait and see...it could be alot of things and im sure you are in fine hands.wishing you luck.x
|

replied June 5th, 2008
well do you think it would nessesary for me to ask for an MRI with contrast for my situation. Iv been getting these headaches all the time, they havnt really gotten any worse but they've changed a bit in the way they feel. Im only 17 and its been going on for 4 months without any really major new symptoms. sometimes ill feel like i had one to many drinks or something but thats the only other thing i can really thing of. I also have quite a bad case of TMJ
|

replied June 6th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Yes, I do think it would be a good idea. Just for the fact of the on going headahes. It could be just something as simple as a cronic sinus infection. But, at least an MRI will go deep enough to show some question spots if you do have any. Then after reading those, doc may opt to do the PET. But please, don't be like I just to be. Worry about things that are not fact yet. Your TMJ may or may not be related. I think an MRI will ease your mind. You seem very tense about this. You are litterally making yourself sick. Not a good thing. Cross that bridge when you come to it. Chill for now and wait and see what comes from this.

Hugs,
Carrie
|

replied June 6th, 2008
i know i should relax, andur right an MRI would ease my mind becxause it would rule out a secondary cause such a Tumor. however my Doctor doesnt believe it has anything to do with a tumor since i had no abnormalities on ym neurological exam and because of my age and so on. He said if the CT scan came back negative then he wouldnt even think twice about it, but i dont see why he thinks that because is often misses things and an MRI doesnt. Im going to see him in 2 weeks to get the results from my Ct scan and im going to try and push for any MRI. The headaches however are not "steady" they will usualy feel like a squeezing prsuure in the back of my head that can usualy be relved by stretching my neck and so on. But sometimes when im playing my guitar or slouched st the com,puter it will have a sudden shock of pain over the back top of my head lasting secondsadn it often scares me but i could be a muscle spasm
|

replied June 21st, 2008
alright so i went to the chiropractor and had 2 visits. He said that there was three things wrong with my neck plus my TMJ which is a sever case he booked me for 8 appts and said that these head pains will go away afte5r treatment and he also said that the CT scan will detect anything if it is present and that i shouldnt have to go for an MRI. Do you think i should trust him?
|

replied June 22nd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Well, I am not one for chiropractors. I would rather see an Osteopath with a degree. I do agree with the rest of you plan and if there is some suspision, they can always do a deeper Pet scan. You can start with th CT and work up from there.
You are in my thoughts

These scanners were all devised from Tesler technology. One of the leading scientist in his generation. He was an Eienstien.
|

replied June 22nd, 2008
well i dont know if its the same in america but in canada we have medicare so headaches are generally not warranted for neuro imaging with a normal neurological exam. which i had twice now both normal. I had to beg for a CT scan and he assured me if i had something wrong it would be on the CT scan and my chiropractor said the same thing. I could still try for an MRI but i really dont see the point now when looking at it statistics wise. 2 in every 100 000 kids and teens will harbour a brain tumor and of those only 8% will have headache as an isolated finding. so with the negative CT Scan i really dont think its nessesary because im not even getting headaches just very short lasting sharp kinda feeling head pains and the chiro assured me it was because of my neck. as far as PET scan go they only order those if something is found on the MRI that resembels a tumor they wont order a PET scan unless they are almost certain there is something there. Which in my case im sure would be very very unlikely. but your posts did help me come to realise that.
|

replied June 22nd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You are right on. First if they do a CT and suspect a shadow that may or may not look remarkable, they then will go to an MRI w/o contrast. Sometimes without contrast is useless, others it will highlight the suspious area right away. Most doc's here in the U.S. do order w/o and do a comparison. If the the MRI comes back very conculsive of an anomilie, they will then do a PET which is the upmost conclusive for cancer tumors. But, if the tumor is benign, it will not radiate and light up red. It will only show as another dark showdow. PET is only used to rule out any kind of cancer cells the are malignient.
I know how hard it must be for you to have to beg and on your knees for a test. But, wait and see and don't stress yourself out about it. Sounds like you have had what needs to be done with perphaps nothing even found. Keep you chin up.
Besides, PET scans are worse the MRI's. They are loader and longer. But, I willl say this much. They are sure advanced technology IMHO. I worked at a hospital that had the privledge of having one of the first closed PET scanners. They are a beautiful piece of medical equipment.

Carrie
|

replied June 22nd, 2008
thank you very much for your advice. So if and when the CT scan comes back negative should i stop worrying and forget about the whole thing and see if the chiropractor will help. After all this chiro seems to be very good at what he does and really seems to know what hes doing and he did say that i had a sever case of w.e was wrong.
|

replied July 27th, 2013
I have been having feelings in my head. My symptoms keep changing also at first i would feel this warm feeling from the back of my head down my back sn it would make me feel like i was hallucinating just for a brief moment..after some months i started to feel like my head was on fire inside... Had a cat scan done at the ER said didn't see anything...no i have tight muscle pains every now an then like my muscles are tighting,a vibrating or chilling sensation like a tickling feeling,an it feels like its burning. I dont no if i just get so scared when it happens that it makes me fel the sensation more an i feel like i cant calm down like a panic attack
|

replied June 22nd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
2bbalza wrote:
thank you very much for your advice. So if and when the CT scan comes back negative should i stop worrying and forget about the whole thing and see if the chiropractor will help. After all this chiro seems to be very good at what he does and really seems to know what hes doing and he did say that i had a sever case of w.e was wrong.

Absolutly! There is alway a second opinion if you are really concerned. The way I feel, if there is pain, there has to be a reason. Make someone come up with that reason. I am glad you found a good chiro. Most I have met are ones that wanted to really go to school for osteopathic mediciane and could not afford to go that far. Believe me, they know all 206 bones, that is for sure.

Lots of luck and keep in touch,
Carrie
|

replied June 7th, 2012
Similar headaches
Hey,

Wow, we are two of a kind. I am having very similar issues at the moment. I have been having headaches for maybe, I think, 2 and a half months now. I am 18. Female. I had CT Scan done and it was negative, but the hospital that I went to was very vague about the results. They didn't even go over anything with me. They were basically like, "Here is some Fioricet and a Toridol (spelling is wrong here), good bye." I had to assume that the CT Scan was negative, because I would hope that if there was anything seriously wrong, they would not have dismissed me. Ever since the CT Scan I have been on: Fioricet, Toridol, Amitriptyline, Immetrix (again spelling here too), and supplements. All of which have had no affect in alleviating my headaches. They have also changed; they are a dull burning pain now, and this makes me nauseous. I used to have nausea and vomiting with my headaches for the first full month. Then, it stopped. The health center at my college gave me a medication that is commonly used for Chemotherapy patients, and at the time it did very little to help. I have started an internship with a very intense company, and the headaches are making things very difficult. Especially, with the onset of these new pains, and of course the revisiting nausea. I see that it has been sometime since this article was posted. I was wondering if you have any suggestions. I have a referral to a Neurologist; however, I can't get an appointment until July 11. I am getting so sick; I am afraid I can't make till then.
|

replied June 7th, 2012
I should add that my major worry that there is something else wrong here, is because if it was just tension headache, migraine, etc..., the pain killers should be doing something. Even if that something is a few notches off the pain level, but I have been taking medication for 2 months now (I know, next thing I will be complaining about is liver problems) and neither of the medications has helped- in the slightest. The only time I have seen my doctor show concern was in my last appointment, when I said the Immetrix wasn't working. She basically threw her hands up and said, "See a Neurologist, there is nothing I can do." Honestly, at this point, I don't care what is wrong with me, I just want a diagnoses and an appropriate route to a cure; instead of this, "I think you have this, so, take this for 3 weeks and get back to me."

-Thank you.
|

replied September 1st, 2012
Ok so this has been goin on for four years now, shortness of breath, it started out as my heart racin four years ago,then over time I started feeling tired, weak, and bloated all the time. Ive been to multiple hospitals, drs, ive had numerous blood tests chest exrays cts, with contrast , and without, on my head, chest, stomac..its now to the point were im misreble , just went to drs today..he told me theirs no possible way theirs nething wrong with you..i still no different, its getting worse by the day,i cant walk to the bathroom without getting winded, and weak..what should I do:(
|

replied September 1st, 2012
Ok so this has been goin on for four years now, shortness of breath, it started out as my heart racin four years ago,then over time I started feeling tired, weak, and bloated all the time. Ive been to multiple hospitals, drs, ive had numerous blood tests chest exrays cts, with contrast , and without, on my head, chest, stomac..its now to the point were im misreble , just went to drs today..he told me theirs no possible way theirs nething wrong with you..i still no different, its getting worse by the day,i cant walk to the bathroom without getting winded, and weak..what should I do:(
|