Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

ct results:L4/5 large disc stenosis impinging left L5 nerve root

please help me to understand my lumbar ct scan results and just how severe this is and how soon if at all is the need for surgery also opinion on best pain relief meds in particular epilepsy meds

excerpt ct results:L4/5 large disc 6mm ap by 22mm transverse by 13mm craniocaudal stenosis left lateral recess impingement traversing left l5 nerve root...severe canal stenosis....complete obliteration left lateral nerve root... mass effect traversing L5 nerve root
opinion:large disc at L4/5 stenosis left lateral recess and impingement traversing left L5 nerve root.

please respond as soon as possible
many thanks greatly appreciated
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 17th, 2012
Active User, very eHealthy
your seond bottom disk is bulging at its rear part. the bulge has taken up some of the space in the spinal canal and has narrowed th left neural foramina. the neural foramina is a groove in the vertabra which contian the nerves that branch off the spinal cord. In your case the left nerve root is being impinged.

As far as surgery goes you need to ask a good orthopedic surgeon what your options are.
|

replied June 12th, 2012
thank you for your response rollar64
I am continuing with more scans and MRI under a neurosurgeon.
|

replied June 13th, 2012
Active User, very eHealthy
good luck tazted keep us posted if you like
|
Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...