i have a question and i'm hoping someone might have some advice for me. it relates to what happens when crying starts after about 10 hours of sleep.

here's the background: my baby is 6 and a half months old. we've been doing the controlled crying technique for just under two weeks since she had always been nursed to sleep and was waking up multiple times during the night. it's been working well - she has a very stable bedtime routine and goes into the cot in her own room awake at night. after the beginning few nights where she cried between 10 and 30 minutes, there have been a few nights with no noise after we leave the room and a few with just 10 minutes of off and on crying.

the issue, however, is what to do in the morning. we put her to sleep at 7:30pm and she pretty much always wakes up crying somewhere between 4:30am and 5:30am. at this point we tend to take her into our bed so she can nurse and she ALWAYS falls back to sleep and all three of us then sleep for another 2 hours or so.

we've tried the controlled crying if she wakes up closer to 4:30 and it has worked on occasion but if she starts up closer to 5:30 i feel that we should be glad she slept for 10 hours and just give her some food. yet still, it is clear that she is not finished sleeping since she always sleeps another two hours and therefore seems to need 12 hours of sleep at night.

would you advise that we stop bringing her in our bed for a feed and instead just keep up with the controlled crying until she learns to sleep through the whole 12 hours? we don't want to send her mixed messages.

by the way - her naps during the day are somewhat irregular with usually at least a half hour nap in the morning and an hour or so nap in the afternoon - sometimes two hours. nursing to get her to nap is sometimes relied upon and we let her nap wherever we are at the time - on the couch or in the baby sling that we wear her in.

thanks so much for any advice you can offer!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 8th, 2010
Dreamfeed
I would suggest that she's only waking because she's hungry. I recommend doing a "dreamfeed" at about 10 or 11pm, before you go to bed - that is, pick her up very gently and feed her while she's still asleep. If she does wake, try not to stimulate or disturb her, she should go right back to sleep either while feeding or shortly afterwards. I've been doing this with my daughter for a few months (she's 7 months old now) and she has been sleeping through the night with no problem at all. It just means that your little girl won't be woken up by hunger in the early hours of the morning because she's had that booster feed to get her through the night.

Good luck!
|

replied March 31st, 2011
Crying In Public - The Wrong Public Place(s)
Aside from the medical considerations, what about the parental responsibilities that are associted with crying babies in public? It seems, just like sex and drugs and misbehavior, there is a cultural "dumbing-down" and that inconsiderate parents who bring babies to inappropriate forums get away with it.

|
Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....