Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Crohn Disease Forum

Crohn's , hysterectomy , and menopause

User Profile
After having an ileostomy in 1969, at age 11, I enjoyed 38 wonderful medication free years of remission from Crohn's. Since having a hysterectomy at age 49, my Crohn's is back with a vengeance. It has gotten to the point that I am on weekly Humira injections. I think there is a very strong connection between the hysterectomy, instant menopause, and the recurrence of the Crohn's, but my gastroenterologist and gynecologist have not been especially helpful, and I can't seem to find anybody in the medical community to help me. I've thought about a nutritionist, but he/she wouldn't be able to assist with any hormonal inbalance. Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2009
Supporter
My personal opinion I think they are connected. Crohns is flared by stress and body changes. A hysterectomy is a major body change. I suggest seeing a natural medicine physician. Acupuncture also can help. Good luck and let me know what you decide to do.
|

replied February 4th, 2010
I just joined this and found these postings... i was googling to see if there might be information about those of us with Crohns and how a hysterectomy might impact it as I'm facing that & dreading it... I had an illeostomy in 1986 but was plugged back in in 1987 but have had 4 gut surgeries, lots of scar tissue, intermittent bowel obstruction, and now this mess with a big uterus & all these fibroids & cysts... So please i'd love to know how you are doing "YankeeGirl" (I was one too..) I hope you all are doing well...
|

User Profile
replied April 19th, 2012
i feel for you. Sad I have had the same sugery and several blockages.i have been going thru menapause since 38, i am now 44. I was dianosed with crohns at 19.I cry all the time because i can't seem to get thru this change. i am trying to get on the cimzia drug. all others have failed. i was thinking to just let them take out my female organs after hearing ur story i don't know what ta do. hugs you.
|
Must Read
What is menopause? Peri menopause? How long does menopause last? Get the facts on menopause, "the big change", here. ...
Symptoms of menopause and perimenopause affect women in different ways. What common signs and early symptoms of menopause can alert you of "the change"?...
Consult your doctor as your body makes the perimenopause transition. But how do doctors confirm the beginning of menopause? Learn more here....