Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Crohn Disease Forum

Crohn's disease and alcohol intolerance

I was diagnosed with crohn's disease when I was 13. I started drinking when I was 17 a few times a month and never had any issues. I'll also mention that I have no problems with any other foods or beverages. Ive been pretty much symptom free since age 16 or so. Around age 20, all of a sudden I developed an allergy to alcohol. When I drink, even just one beer, I get symptoms similar to food poisoning the next day or 2 days later. I'll be sick and in so much pain for 5-10 hours. Painful bowel movements and body aching. One time I went to the hospital it was so bad. After testing a few different types of alcohol and suffering through the pain afterwards, I stopped drinking. It's been about 2 years and of course, at age 23 I feel like I'm missing out on occasion. Has anyone heard of this problem? My doctors say they haven't heard of it and to just stay away from alcohol. Could it be the gluten or something? Is there a certain kind of alcohol that may not make me feel this way? I am taking lialda and aziothioprine.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper rusty30097
|

replied January 10th, 2013
I find it's better just to avoid and adjust to life as a sober sally lol I have had to do that myself, I was diagnosed in Sept, 2012.
|

replied March 21st, 2016
I had severe IBS and allergies to a lot of chemicals, when I was younger, when that faded I was pretty happy.... then I became allergic to alcohol of any type even in NyQuil. It happened fairly quickly. I tried many different types of beers and hard liquor about 3 months apart. I would break out in hives and my throat would tighten with just 1/4 beer. Finally I just stopped trying. Consider yourself part of the club. Welcome aboard.
|

replied July 21st, 2016
Alcohol can interfere with the medications used to treat the symptoms of IBD. So its best if you avoid alcohol completely.
|
Must Read
Crohn's Disease is a chronic disorder that affects digestion. But what is Crohns and how does it affect the body?...
What causes Crohn's disease? Does it run in families (yes)? And how can YOU avoid the risk factors of Crohn's?...
Can you identify symptoms of Crohn's Disease? Learn more about the range of symptoms from mild to severe in this section on Crohn's symptoms here. ...