Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Forum

Critical blood pressure ?

Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....
User Profile
My doctor changed my blood pressure medicine from Benicar (due to severe side effect of coughing) to Bystolic. My question is "how high is a critical blood pressure" when should you call 911 or go to hospital. My pressure has been fluxuating all week end. Is there a certain # that it reaches that you should say - time to call the hospital? The highest mine has reached over the weekend is 168 over 104 but I feel like crap.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile

User Profile
replied November 16th, 2010
High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Answer A17134
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the high blood pressure and the point at which to call a doctor if blood pressure shoots high.
Call a doctor immediately if you have high blood pressure and:
Your blood pressure is 180/110 or higher.
You think high blood pressure is causing headaches or other symptoms.
Call a doctor if:
Your blood pressure is 140/90 or higher on two or more occasions.
You think you may be having side effects from your blood pressure medicine.
Your blood pressure is usually normal and well controlled, but it goes above the normal range on more than one occasion.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our High Blood Pressure and Hypertension , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.