Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Fibromyalgia Forum

creams, OTC NSAIDS, yoga etc. not working

User Profile
My family doctor and I have concluded (yesterday) after various tests and trials of other things over the last 1.5 years that I have fibromyalgia. The symptoms coincidentally (or not) started when menopause started for me (I'm 54). I have been on HRT for one year and it has relieved the hot flashes but not the body/muscle pain and sleep problems. Since all OTC NSAIDS and arthritis type creams don't help, he prescribed Voltaren gel and to continue with all of the alternative therapies I'm trying: Yoga, walking, monthly visit to chiropractor, acupuncture and massage and meditation. He said to try the gel for 4 weeks and if that didn't work for me he'd prescribe nortriptyline for sleep/pain. Do you agree with his assessment/plan? He didn't think diet had any impact, do you agree? I am trying to eat a more plant based diet. Any suggestions you have would be most welcome. thank you!

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied July 9th, 2015
Fibromyalgia Answer A52944
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. Your doctor is doing the right thing. NSAIDs trial is standard procedure with concomitant alternative therapies . If not responding then addition of antidepressants like nortriptyline is standard choice and wise one. DO as directed by your doctor. Visit our fibromyalgia health center for further guidance.

I hope it helps. stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and can not be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.

Take care
Khan

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Fibromyalgia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.