Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vascular and Circulatory Disorders Forum

cramping pain goes from groin down to toes, can last 20 mins

User Profile
I get severe cramp like pain in my legs . The pain sometimes starts at the groin and goes all the way down to my toes. Stretching it out or standing and putting pressure does not help. When I have this pain there is no comfortable position. Sitting or standing or lying down. Sometimes last up to 20 minutes and is excruitiating. Sometimes will start in second leg while trying to get comfort for the first leg. What could the cause be? What can I do to prevent it from happening? What can I do to get relief when it is happening. It is much like the charlie horse pain in the calf of the leg but more severe and longer lasting.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 6th, 2012
Vascular and Circulatory Disorders Answer A32451
Welcome to e health forum.

It seems that you may be having a pain due to sciatica. Sciatica refers to pain, weakness, numbness, or tingling in the leg. It is caused by injury to or pressure on the sciatic nerve. Sciatica is a symptom of another medical problem.

Common causes of such pain is due to slipped disc, pelvic injury or fracture or degenerative joint disease.

You can try to control the pain by application of heat or ice. Try ice for the first 48 - 72 hours, then use heat after that. OTC pain killers (Advil or Motrin will also be helpful).

Other measures that may be helpful include physiotherapy and back strengthening exercises. Avoid heavy lifting or twisting of your back for the first 6 weeks after the pain begins. You should start exercising again after 2-3 weeks. This should include exercises to strengthen your abdomen and improve flexibility of your spine.

You may consult with your doctor who can examine you and provide you proper pain killers and medications that help to control the pain (Gabapentin, Pregabalin, Duloxetine, etc).

I hope this helps.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vascular and Circulatory Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.