Medical Questions > Womens Health > Fertility Forum

could use some help understanding my cycle.

Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
User Profile
Hello, I could use some help understanding my cycle so as to know which days I am ovulating. Amy period began on the dates below and lasted usually 4 days per time.
April 11
march 14
Feb 9
jan 10.
I tried to monitor my ovulation this month and used a ton of tests starting about 14 days in and tested twice daily and have negative tests each time and got my period today. So I am having trouble understanding my cycle length and how to figure out which days I am most likely to be fertile. I have not been on any sort of drugs for birth control and stopped using condoms 2 months ago.
Thanks for any help you are able to give!

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 12th, 2011
Fertility Answer A21828
Welcome to ehealthforum,
Your fertile days can be calculated based on your menstrual cycle length and regularity of periods. This combined with Basal body temperature charting (to see if you have ovulated) and cervical mucus monitoring (to look for favorable mucus due to hormonal change after ovulation, for easy swimming of sperms through the cervical canal) would help in identifying your most fertile days. Intercourse during these days would be fruitful. For a menstrual cycle of 28-30 days length, fertile period would be between day 8th - day 18th of the cycle taking day 1 as first day of bleeding.
If you have not succeeded in getting pregnant after 3-6 months of stopping birth control use, then consider getting a thorough evaluation done by your gynecologist to look for any underlying cause that could be responsible for infertility. If any abnormality is revealed, then appropriate treatment would be started to help you get pregnant.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Fertility , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.