Exactly one week ago I began to feel soreness on the right side of my abdomen. It has gotten worse since then. When I cough or tighten my abdominal muscles I can feel a small lump or bulge. It is located right above my belly button, slightly to the right. I slept with an ice pack on it for the last two nights, without relief. I cannot physically see it, but I can feel a small mass/lump, and so could a few other people when I asked them to compare sides. I have been coughing a lot lately due to being sick, so I know that is not helping. However, the soreness and pain began days before the coughing fits. I do plan on going to a primary and getting it checked out. My job does require very heavy lifting l, but I use proper lifting techniques. Or at least I think I am... Has anyone else experienced this? I am really upset and in pain. People have said it could just be a pulled muscle. What tests should I request to get this pinned down? What should I do in the meantime? Has anyone had this problem and figured out what it was? Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 3rd, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern.
Yes ,it could be inguinal hernia which is common in those who life heavy weight ,You should get it checked out.
Usually physical examination is all that is required to diagnose an inguinal hernia ,but if there is any doubt imaging studies like an ultrasound abdomen can be done.
For symptoms relief you can take over the counter analgesics and cough suppressants
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Dr khalil
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.