Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Relationships Forum

Could my boyfriend be Bipolar?

Hi. My friend referred me to this forum. I'm completely grief-stricken and looking for advice. My boyfriend of over a year has just broken up with me for the fifth time, out of the blue, with no warning. This happened just a week after spending an amazing weekend together, where he planned and spent a huge sum of money to take me skiing. We cooked together, laughed together, everything about it was wonderful. Then we come home. He commutes back to work, and I go back to work myself. Days go by, and I hear nothing. The old pattern starts resurfacing. This is what he has done 4 times before. Getting cold and distant, after being so close, and when I press him to find out what is going on, he says every time that he wants to "move on". No real reason given beyond that it's not working. Weeks or a month will go by and he will reappear with some joke to break the ice, and I'm pulled right back in. Only this time it's after we've gotten closer than we've ever been. We spent weekends away together. He asked me to please talk to my children about meeting him, talked about having a child with me. So when I text him as I always do, I start getting one word answers until he finally says, "I'm sorry, I don't think this is going to work out." This, after he promised me he would never just dump me out the blue again. I got him to come and talk to me (in his car, mind you) for all of 15 minutes. But it gave me no closure. He was flat, emotionless. Oddly looked as though he had gained weight in a matter two weeks. Just seemed totally off. He just said that he didn't know why it wouldnt work. I told him that he's like dr jekyl and Hyde. He just chuckled and said he's been told that by friends before. Should I reach out and ask him if he's ok? Could he possibly be bilpolar? I love him so much, but I'm becoming a shell of myself in this process. Any words of advice would be so appreciated. Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Corrine2090
|

replied July 21st, 2017
My boyfriend of 11 years was diagnosed with Bipolar and sounds just like him. It's like they have no compassion or empathy. It's always about them It will tear you up and make you question your own sanity. They leave you emotionally insecure. Very sad.
I'm sorry you have to go through this.
|

replied January 2nd, 2018
Yes, I also have had this. Definitely, they lack empathy and you end up feeling the guilty party. You will end up looking at yourself and wondering if it's you and you will wonder if you don't look good enough etc. My hubby has made me feel this way. That fact is, they cannot help themselves, they are self absorbed and only think of themselves. Maybe, start speaking up as to how you feel. How hurt you are because of what he is doing to you. I have done this and it has definitely worked.
|

User Profile
replied March 12th, 2018
Talk to a psychiatrist before and have a consultation with your Doctor first regarding this matter. They might be able to help you well. Yes, there are different mood swing that could be one of the reasons regarding Bipolar disease but until and unless he didn't explain himself, you should not let him go. Ask him whether he is fine and is he ready to take your help with the consent of the Doctor.
|
Quick Reply