Just today I experienced tightness/pressure in my chest, shortness of breath, and was coughing up a lot of mucus. While I have never been diagnosed with asthma before, I am recovering from a respiratory infection (yesterday was my last day of antibiotics), and I do have a doctors appointment for a general checkup (though since I'm new in the system, the nearest they could schedule me was Oct 17th). I did check online for ways to ease potential asthma symptoms (a breathing exercise and coffee, since caffeine is supposed to help open the airways), and the symptoms started to clear up after a few minutes, however I now have a cold feeling in my chest, mostly around where my left lung should be, and the air I breath in feels cold in my airways. Is it possible for a respiratory infection to cause asthma, and, just in case I do have it, what can I do to reduce my chances of an attack until my appointment? I am getting some advice from family members who do have asthma, however, I've read that asthma doesn't affect everyone the same way, and if I do have it, the more info I can get, the better prepared I can be if the worst does happen, or, more preferably I can prevent the worst from happening. Thank you in advanced. Just one more thing, not long after I posted this I started to feel a little breathless again, not too bad right now, but it is very unsettling, since I'm not used to anything like this
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Malichite
|

User Profile
replied October 6th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Respiratory infection doesnot cause asthma but it can excacerbate it.Also asthmatic patients are more prone to respiratory tract infections.I would suggest you to avoid allergens and take salbutamol inhaler in case of severe breathlessness.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Asthma , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.