Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Alzheimer Disease Forum

Could it be Alzheimer's or Dementia?

User Profile
My dad is 64 and has had severe head trauma multiple times in his 20's and 30's. He has always been very aggressive, and absent minded while I was growing up, but he has progressed so much recently, we're starting to become concerned. I've been told by family members that his personality changed after his car accident in his 30's and he became more of a narcissist and very paranoid. He now seems to be experiencing symptoms of psychosis. He has random thoughts and feelings about something that occurred over 20 years ago (although no one else remembers this occurrence)out of no where. When you enter his house and say hello, he can look you in the eye and engage with a "hello" response but 10 mins later he will say, "I didn't know you were here. Why didn't you say hello?". When you tell him he already said hello and he said it back, he doesn't remember it and thinks you're lying. He is constantly misplacing items (he locks them up/moves/hides them because he thinks someone is trying to steal them ie:paranoia) and when he can't find them, he blames someone in the house for taking them. Once he does find them, he blames everyone in the house for purposely moving things to make him think he's going crazy. He also gets my aunt and I confused, saying my name while looking right at my aunt and similarly w/ other family members. When he gets confused or misplaces something, he becomes very panicked and agitated, often yelling and even becoming somewhat aggressive by throwing things or slamming things around. I've told him he needs to see a doctor about this, but he denies having any memory problems. I'm just curious to know if this sound like Dementia, Alzheimer's, or possibly something else... like a developmental disability perhaps? I'm just not sure where to go or who to seek care from.
Did you find this post helpful?
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Alzheimer's disease is a brain disorder that causes dementia. But what causes Alzheimers? What signs can you look for?...
Learn the most common signs and symptoms of the onset of Alzheimer Disease. We also discuss symptoms of dementia so you can know when to seek help. ...
Doctors can help determine the cause of memory loss or symptoms associated with Alzheimers. We outline the diagnostic protocol for AD and exams that are needed....