Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Could i be pregnant even though im on depo.?

User Profile
im on the depo shot for 1 year and a couple of months and i haven't had any symptoms from it. just a couple of weeks ago me and my boyfriend had unprotected sex and now im getting a bunch of pregnancy symptoms. i dont get my period anymore due to the shot. lately my breast have been feeling different and when i rub my nipples the start to get tender. and also last time i had sex with my boyfriend which was last wednesday i had white milky sticky like discharge coming out of me (during sex) which never happened to me before. could i be pregnant even though i never missed a shot.? also on august 18th i went to the doctor to find out what was wrong with my eyelid because it had gotten swollen and he said i had blepharitis (eyelid infection)and prescribe some caplet pills for me to take every 8 hours. could that have affected my depo shot.?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 30th, 2011
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
Antibiotic use is known to affect the efficacy of your birth control (usually the oral ones and not the injectable ones). However the chances of loss of efficacy cannot be ruled out completely. Women are known to get pregnant while being on hormonal contraceptives. The symptoms that you describe could be suggestive of possibility of pregnancy. Consider visiting your doctor/gynecologist for thorough examination (to confirm pregnancy related changes/signs in body) and blood/serum HCG level test (to confirm/rule out pregnancy accurately). Take adequate rest. Drink plenty of water. Maintain healthy diet. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any unusual/new symptoms immediately.
Take care.

|

User Profile
replied October 4th, 2011
Experienced User
I was told by my gyn before I started my shot that pregnancy symptoms are a huge possibility with Depo, not sure why, but I have only had 2 Depo shots so far, and had some symptoms a couple months back and was a little paranoid, but I wasn't pregnant. I felt nauseous, bloated, my boobs hurt, I felt flutters, but I wasn't pregnant, so that could be it?

You should take a PT, and see if you could get your blood work done for any HcG hormones.

I wish you luck!!
|
Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Birth Control , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.