My husband has been making jokes for months, insisting that I'm carrying twins. I've denied the possibility, as the idea makes me extremely nervous, but it's getting to the point that I just don't know what to think.

I'm 16 weeks pregnant but I look like I'm closer to six months. This isn't my first pregnancy, and I'm small in general, but I didn't gain this much weight this quickly with any of the other pregnancies. I started showing around the 2nd month, which just doesn't make sense. I wasn't over-eating or anything, and even if I had been, my metabolism is so high that it's difficult for me to even maintain my weight.

Another thing that occurred very early was that I felt quickening. I started feeling the baby move around week 12 or 13. As it became less faint, around 14 weeks, I realized that I could feel movement in two spots at once (one just above my pelvic bone and to the left, the other closer to my belly button and more to the right). I've noticed this several times over the last few weeks. I've felt movement well above my belly button lately (I'm hoping that's just because I'm short, I'm barely over five feet).

The pregnancy symptoms have hit me much harder with this pregnancy. I'm always tired, light-headed, I get dizzy easily. Earlier this week, I nearly fainted for no reason. One minute I was cold, the next I was over-heated and things were getting dark. I went to the emergency room, they confirmed that I was not anemic or dehydrated. I've also had more problems with sciatica, sinuses, headaches, mood-swings, frequent urination, and heartburn. My nausea has been strange. I'll have no appetite and everything turns my stomach for a day or two, then I'll be fine, able to eat nearly anything that hasn't already been ruined for me.

I haven't been to an obstetrician yet, we've been in the middle of moving and things have been really hectic so I haven't been able to get around to making an appointment. I did have one ultrasound around 7 weeks and was told that there's only one baby, one heartbeat, but the equipment was outdated, they had a lot of difficulty finding the baby because the placenta is at the front and was blocking the baby. What makes it worse (more for my husband to joke about), they kept loosing the baby and then getting different measurements every time they found her again, and in each of the ultrasound pictures there appears to be a very faint image of something in the background. Looks like a face at one point, a leg in another picture, and a foot in another.

This is really throwing me off. Is it twins? Is it possible that the second baby was hiding? Will another ultrasound detect a multiple pregnancy or is there a possibility that they could miss it again? Is there any other way that could prove for certain if it's one or two? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 9th, 2013
Did you ever find out if it was twins or not?
|
Did you find this post helpful?