User Profile
ow do I get rid of this and is it actually "hard mucus" or another conidtion I can treat? I have pictures if someone would like to look at them please let me know and I can email them to you. Thanks

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 12th, 2008
Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Answer A4859
You wrote:” Current medical status: I have these hard green (not the yellow balls that are food particals from my tonscils) mucus things that have a hole in them. They kinda look like a lifesaver that are in my throat. I can feel these in my throat and are very painful and sometimes make my voice very horse. I have been getting these for 9 years now and I have been to 2 different ENT places and they say I'm just coughing up "hard mucus. Well if I am how do I getrid of this? I have these in my throat all the time and can feel them and I can "hack them up everyday if I wanted to. Please help
Current medical treatment: None
Question: ow do I get rid of this and is it actually "hard mucus" or another conidtion I can treat? I have pictures if someone would like to look at them please let me know and I can email them to you.

According to the major symptom you describe (coughing hard green mucus), it is very hard to tell what causes it. This mucus originates from a place where a hole exists. Several locations should be examined. Chronic inflammation of sinus, or rhinitis might create enough mucus. On the other hand, a hole or ulcer in a mucous membrane or tissue might be a good spot for collecting mucus. The ulcer might be formed in the mucous of the larynx, esophagus or bronchi. The chronic inflammation is not very likely, since no data for these conditions were mentioned. To detect the exact location of an ulcer, a laringoscopy or esophagoscopy should be performed. If the problem is actually in the bronchi or the lungs, X-ray or bronchoscopy might be useful. Certain of these examinations are risky, so you might want to consult with another ENT or internist. If no reason is found, you might want to try to increase the intake of fluids or moisturize the air you breathe, if it is dry, so the mucus will stay loose and easier to cough.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.