Hi, I’m 65. I’m currently being treated for anxiety and depression and they are pretty well managed with meds. But for the past 40 years, whenever I have gone through prolonged period of heightened stress (anything from a bad breakup to moving, which I’m now in the process of doing), I develop a bad dry cough. I have several fits a day and when it’s really bad, I cannot finish a sentence without coughing. In between fits my chest feels tight and something seems to be tickling the back of my throat.

I have seen doctors who say nothing is physically wrong with me my throat and lungs. I don’t think there is anything I can do but suffer through until I’m moved in. Lol. Since Christmas, my husband fell, was admitted to the hospital, had his legs operated on (PAD), went to rehab, I lost my phone, the car died, I found out we were moving in 4 weeks (husband needs a ground-floor apt), packed up everything (not done yet), help husband get around (he can’t help with the move). I guess the anxiety is to be expected.

But what flummoxed me when I asked my psychiatrist about it and he suggested I might have a cold! I know what a cold feels like! This is not it!

Is there anyone else this happens to? I’ve searched a bit but the latest posts I’ve seen were 7 years old.

Thank you! I’m starting to sound like Gollum.
Did you find this post helpful?
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...