Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Coughing after an allergic reaction attack?

Yesterday (Monday) I was at work I started coughing really badly and couldn't breath. I was rushed to the hospital where I received oxygen (in the ambulance), then steroids and a breathing treatment at the hospital. I had minimal coughing when I left. They prescribed my prednisone, but I cant take it because it messes me up completely and I cant function. This morning (Tuesday), I had minimal coughing, but it got worse throughout the day. Im not coughing up anything, but it hurts everytime I do cough (in my chest area) and its an effort to cough. And my heart rate has been going up and then going normal all day.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 13th, 2014
Hello and welcome to e health Forum.

From the history provided it seems that your symptoms could be due to bronchitis.

Bronchitis, a infection of the upper airways of the lungs (bronchi), It is common in winter and often develops following a cold, sore throat or flu.

The main symptom of bronchitis is a cough, which may bring up yellow-grey mucus. Bronchitis may also cause a sore throat, wheezing and a blocked nose

Bronchitis is usually a mild and self-limiting condition which clears up spontaneously within a week. But if symptoms worsen, i.e. shortness of breath, or a fever that lasts more than four or five days, you might require medications to control the infection.

Your doctors have prescribed prednisone which is a steroid, and would be highly effective to reduce the inflammation and provide relief to all your symptoms including cough and your chest discomfort. Hence you should take it as advised.

In addition, you may benefit by taking proper rest for a day or two, keep yourself well hydrated and avoid smoking (if you do).

I hope this helps.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Allergies , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.