Does cortisone help the itching and immflamation of psoriasis for you?
View results daily and email me with results
Rto address issue please. Use this poll one time only.
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 0
Recently there's been a TV commercial advertising 'Cortisone 10 for the use of exzema.
I'm a retired nurse and in the past have advised her against using a topical cortisone preparation due to the large body surface area affected by her psoriasis-about 40%, knowing she could have serious repercussions from absorbing that large amount of cortisone.
But when I saw the commercial I thought, what is she used it on very small sections, one at a time, to see if it helps ande if it did, she could continue using it on small area's in the manner described above.
Has anyone tried cortisone on psoriasis? What was the outcome? Any opinions on what I've said?
Thanks all for any help you can give me...I can't stand to see her suffer like this!
nurse
mimi (maryann71)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 15th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy

User Profile
replied August 31st, 2019
(online)
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Cortisone as a topical treatment , is the first line option in psoriasis. However, if more than 30% of body surface area is involved then oral immunosuppressive drugs like methotrexate should be part of treatment.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Acne and Skin Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.