Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

core job is lifting, realistic timetable for a return date?

User Profile
I had a open right inguinal hernia and femoral surgery repair with mesh on 5/19/14. My core roles at my job require me to be on my feet 8 to 10 hours a day, lifting anywhere from 10 to as much as 50lbs repeatedly, frequent bending, lifting, pushing anywhere from 100 to 500lbs of force. I also pull pallets anywhere from 10 to 20 times a day with up to 500lbs of force and am up and down ladders 20 to 30 times daily.

My boss thinks I can come back on light duty in 2 to 4 weeks and I am a bit skeptical based on my core job requirements. Based off research I have done I am thinking 5 to 6 weeks is a safe bet and I have communicated this to my employer and Dr. My Dr. also thinks I can return on light duty in 2 weeks, but I don't think he completely understands what I do even though I have explained these core roles listed to him.

Please advise on a realistic timetable for a return date to work. I do not want to return to work too early and have to return for more surgery. Thanks

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 20th, 2014
General Q and A Answer A47330
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
Early ambulation after surgery helps in better recovery, but if the surgery has been for hernia repair, then avoiding weight lifting and repeated bending (all in all avoiding activities that increase abdominal pressure) should be avoided for about 4-6 weeks time to allow for complete healing. You may consider taking off from work for 4 weeks post-surgery and return to work in 4 weeks (light work) and then resume slowly your normal activities in another 2 weeks time making it 6 weeks post-surgery for complete return to work. Discuss with your employer, doctor as well as insurance agent (if you are covered under insurance) about these options to prevent later complications (physical, medical and legal).
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.