Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Coping with repetitive disc prolapse

User Profile
i haven't had my period for 2 months now i'am 47 years old i have had no symtons i have been suffering with terrible back pain on the left side lower back with pain in my leg when i sit and get up it take me a few seconds to start walking very stiff i can not lay on my right side i now sleep with a long pillow in between my body this does help a little i know have massage once a week she does myofacial release it seem to be good for a day or so then it goes back i did have surgery 15 years ago on my back where the disc prolapse where they cut the fatty tissue out wow onced i healed i was great. i just don't now if its from my massages or my mattress or lack of exercise we did do lots of exercise my hubby and i last year and i have just started again i seem to be putting on weight last year i wasabout 135 to 140 now iam 150 and having a hard time taking it off my massage therapistdid some pelvic release and that day i started to spot only a bit and it stopped not sure what is happening.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 10th, 2009
Back Pain Answer A6790

According to the symptoms you reported (lower left back pain that spreads to the legs and history of previous disc prolapse) you might be experiencing a spinal problem. Whether you have repeated a disc prolapse again or not, cannot be determined without an additional examination.

Disc prolapse is a condition in which the intervertebral disc, which is located between two close vertebrae, is damaged (usually by a degenerative process or exposure to excessive forces). The intervertebral disc is divided into two parts, the outer part which is more solid and the middle part which is softer. When the outer solid ring cracks, part of the middle soft tissue tends to exit out of the vertebra. Then it puts pressure on the surrounding tissues including the nerves that leave the spinal column and the spine itself.

The excessive pressure causes pain which is sensed as existing along the whole nerve. When the disc prolapse occurs in the lumbar region, the sciatic nerve might be affected, thus causing pain along the inner side of the thigh all the way to the ankle.

You might want to visit an orthopedist to check if repetitive disc prolapse has occurred or just a misalignment of the vertebrae is present.

Visualization methods such as X-rays, computer tomography, and MRIs might be needed to distinguish between the possible causes. Depending on the cause and the severity of the condition, physical therapy or even surgery might be recommended by the orthopedist.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Back Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.