Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Coping with incontinence

Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
User Profile
Everytime I have sex with my husband our bed is soaked by my pee. It just squirts out. And now I am sick with bronchitis and the coughing is so bad that, I am getting myself wet. I have to get up and change myself at least twice a night. A woman once told me about an operation she had and she said it was the best thing for her. Can you maybe help me with my problem? Thanks!

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied October 12th, 2009
Urinary and Bladder Disorders Answer A7515

Given the data you provided (urination during sexual intercourse), you might be experiencing urine incontinence. There are several types of urine incontinence, including: urge incontinence, overflow incontinence, bedwetting (enuresis) and stress incontinence, which might be the actual type in your case.

Stress incontinence is due to insufficient strength of the pelvic floor muscles. When abdominal pressure is increased (coughing, sneezing, laughing or exercising), the muscles cannot keep the bladder from releasing the urine. In women in menopause the lowered estrogen levels might additionally lower the muscular pressure around the urethra additionally allowing leakage of urine.

You might want to visit a doctor for a physical examination and urinalysis (for urinary infections). The doctor might perform the stress test- where the person is asked to cough as the doctor watches for loss of urine. Ultrasound and/or cystoscopy (visualization of the inside of the urethra and bladder when inserting tiny tube) might be needed, too.

Your doctor might recommend bladder training where the person tries to keep the urine as much as possible, thus training for longer periods between urination. Timed voiding might be especially useful in your case.

In timed voiding, the patient fills in a chart of voiding and leaking. From the patterns that appear in the chart, the patient can plan to empty his or her bladder before he or she would otherwise leak. You might just empty your bladder before having sexual intercourse.

As for surgery options, doctors usually suggest surgery to alleviate incontinence only after other treatments have been tried.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Urinary and Bladder Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.